RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » International » Train Travel In Italy

Author Topic: Train Travel In Italy
ByTrain
Member # 3260

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ByTrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone!
This forum has been inactive for a while. Let me make this one alive again. I am planning to travel to Italy for the first time later this year. This will also be my first experience to ride on "Trenitalia". I am excited but would love to have some guidence for train travel between Italian cities. I have been to UK and used trains quite a bit. It is pretty much easy for me eventhough that was my first time. I don't speak "italian" language. Any information on how difficult it is for non-Italian speakers to travel by train?

Thanks in advance.
ByTrain.

[This message has been edited by ByTrain (edited 05-20-2004).]

Posts: 18 | From: San Jose, CA, USA. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sevs17
Member # 14779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sevs17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I often travel with FS Trenitalia and have no main problems. There are different types of trains which require different types of tickets.
The fast trains AV (Alta Velocità) or ES* (EuroStar Italia, do not confuse with London-Paris, London-Brussels services). The fast trains have dedicated personnel which is fluent in English, while you might have more problems with English on the cheaper R (Regionale) trains.

The Regionale trains are much cheaper and do not require a seat reservation (you can sit where you want) but make more stops and have a higher delay risk.

All international trains are operated by Trenitalia up to the end of the year in Italy, so even if you get to ride on German, French, Swiss, Austria or Slovenian carriages these will be operated by FS Trenitalia staff.

What train routes are you looking to take?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page