RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Shortlines » Bay Line Information

Author Topic: Bay Line Information
North American Railroader
Member # 3398

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for North American Railroader     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just in Panama City and all along the road from Cottondale to Panama City I had the pleasure of seeing the Bay Line. I know the Bay Line extends from Dothan to Panama City, but not much else. I also had the fortune to see one of their freight trains in the early evening (until then I'd never seen a Bay Line engine or train for that matter). Does anyone have more information about this railroad? (Such as scanner frequences, rosters, etc.) Also, how often do they run trains and when? Finally, did the Bay Line ever have any sort of passenger operation and if so, are there any remains of it? Thanks so much!
Posts: 82 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Understand that the bay line is not fan-friendly and never has been. Believe most of their trains run at night. It ran one passenger train, early morning arrival late evening departure from Panama City. Ended in mid-1950's. Had a through sleeper to Atlanta, maybe also coaches, but not sure. Interchanged with Central of Georgia at Dothan, I believe combined with another train at either Albany, Georgia or Macon. Had heard that at one time they also had service to Montgomery, whether through or by connection with ACL, I have no idea. Search the web under either bay line railroad or atlanta and st. andrews bay. Here are a couple of sources of info.

The company web site is www.rail-management.com/bay.html

Another that has a 12 page summary of information is
john.p.richardson.home.att.net/trains/asabinfo.pdf

Richardson has at least one item I believe to be incorrect. It states that the ASAB was the first Class I to completely dieselize. I believe that honor actually belongs to the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio. (In the 40's adn 50's $1,000,000 was enough to make a railroad a class I.)

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page