RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Preservation and Museums » Amtrak Dining Car originally located in Lansing, IL

Author Topic: Amtrak Dining Car originally located in Lansing, IL
lynn61
Member # 4185

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lynn61   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an Amtrak Dining Car, possibly named "Birmingham" in Lansing, IL. It was run as an ice cream parlor/diner. In the late 90's it was moved to Griffith, IN, where it was supposedly going to be moved eventually to the Illinois Railway Museum. It is now gone from Griffith, but there has been no word as to where it has gone. My sister used to own it in the late 80's, early 90's. I thought that, as a Christmas present, I could find out where it has been relocated and possibly give that info to my sister. It holds many great memories for our whole family, and it would be a real treat it I could find out where it is. I hope someone out there has some info on this. Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 4 | From: Highland, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a contact at Illinois Rialway Museum (IRM).

The latest acquisition is Atlantic Coast Line lightweight diner Birmingham (Pullman-Standard 1950). The stainless steel car was purchased by Amtrak in 1971 and retired in 1986. The car, still on its own wheels, became a restaurant in Lansing, IL. Eventually the restaurant closed and the car was donated to IRM by the owner. The exterior is a bit shabby, with broken windows and three missing doors, but the unusual dining room interior is in very good shape. It consists of 12 diamond shaped tables with angled booths. The kitchen has been much modified. IRM plans to restore the car to operation.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phils
Member # 4282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for phils     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for those interested, the Birmingham is doing just fine in her first year at IRM. There are pictures on the IRM website in the Members Gallery section to see the work completed thus far. Folks in the chicago area are welcome to come out and visit on weekends after Mothers Day
Posts: 1 | From: Northern Illinois | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page