RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Forum Information » Suggestions and Comments » Western vs Central vs Eastern

Author Topic: Western vs Central vs Eastern
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure where the boundary lines are for the different regional forums? While I am usually on the west or east coasts, I ocassionally travel to Denver. Is that Western or Central?

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denver appears to be in both regions. http://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/redeem/details/zone_chart_popup.html
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mike Smith

I had never considreed Amtrak's breakout for regions for these forums but it makes sense to me. If I discuss old Rio Grande routes those would be "Western", but the old Rock Island and Kansas Pacific routes would be "Central"

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, if you want to consider the US as three units, then you should have:

Eastern: Atlantic to Mississippi river
Central: Mississippi river to Rocky Mountains
Western: Rocky Mountains to Pacific Ocean, also throw in Alaska and Hawaii

Where do we put discussion about Canada and Mexico? OK, so they are "foreign" but in terms of the way they operate they are all part of one contiguous North American system. Maybe there should be a category for each, or lump Mexico and Latin America, although so far there does not seem to be a lot of discussion on them.

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
yes, if you want to consider the US as three units, then you should have:

Eastern: Atlantic to Mississippi river
Central: Mississippi river to Rocky Mountains
Western: Rocky Mountains to Pacific Ocean, also throw in Alaska and Hawaii

That was my first thought as well but, these things don't have to follow strict geographical boundaries. I think it's more of a feeling than some lines on a map. Denver is a good example. As mikesmith said, Denver could be either west or central, based on the Amtrak zones.

I can easily place New York in the east, Kansas City in the center, and Los Angeles in the west. For other cities it's not so easy. Chicago, St. Louis, New Orleans: east or central? Denver(again), Salt Lake City, Tucson: west or central? I don't know.

Does it really matter? Go with your gut instinct.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EXACTLY! Remember the Illinois Central, "Main Line of Mid America" sounds pretty central, yet was mostly east of the Mississippi, but was in the old days considered a Southern Distrct road. I would suspect that most of usw check more than one forum, anyhow.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I was assuming too much. I thought Trainweb's regions would naturally follow the Amtrak regions.

You know.... rail forum and all....

Who knows?

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Missouri. that would be central, right guys?
Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page