RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » HO SCale » Cleaning track?

Author Topic: Cleaning track?
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have over 100 feet of HO track about 7 feet off the floor. It cruises through my living room, dining room, kitchen, and den. It is difficult to get a ladder to about 25% of that track.

Is there an easy way to keep the track clean?

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried a track cleaing car? My railroad is n-scale, but the same track cleaning principles apply. There are several models of track cleaning cars. My favorite has a roller between the trucks, and uses handi-wipes. I have found that Goo-Gone is the best track cleaner to use with it. It cleans very well, and it does not evaporate quickly, so as the train drives over it, it spreads it around, and the car wheels get clean at the same time.

I hope this helps.

Dean

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do have Goo-Gone and I do not have a track cleaning car. Looks like a visit to the local train store is in order, unless Amazon has it.

Thanks.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have mentioned in my last post: Some people worry about the Goo-Gone desolving plastic ties, or somehow harming your railroad. All I can say about that is, I have been using Goo-Gone for about 15 years (ever since someone told me the same thing I am telling you), and I have not seen any damage at all.

Good luck with your model railroad.

Dean

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
I bought a Ribbonrail track cleaning car. The hobby shop I frequent stated this is the only car they sell because it is the only car that has never had any problems.

I cannot get it to run around my track. I may have to break out the shop-vac to clear the dust off my track, first. I noticed a lot of "sparks" coming from the wheels of my engine. at it attempted to motivate around the track.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page