RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » HO SCale » Seeking an Amtrak Genesis locomotive

Author Topic: Seeking an Amtrak Genesis locomotive
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago I found a great deal on a set of three Walthers Superliners (Phase IV) from Internet Trains. Now I need a locomotive to get them going. I want a Genesis locomotive, but I am confused by all the offerings out there. I don't have a decent hobby shop in my area, so I can't easily consult with a dealer.

First, I'm confused by the numbers P-40, P-42 and AMD-103, all of which seem to apply to the same type of locomotive.

I'd really like to have a Phase V locomotive, but selection seems pretty slim. I found a limited run Athearn RTR unit on Internet Trains for about $74, which seems a little high. Eventually I'll want a dummy to match, but there doesn't seem to be any Phase V dummies available at all. http://www.internettrains.com/atamd103amph.html I thought I had seen the same locomotive for about $10 less at another site, but I don't remember where.

If I wait a few months will I be more likely to have a better selection of Phase V equipment?

I might consider (in order of preference) a Phase III or Phase IV paint scheme, and Athearn has several in kit form, but from the listing on the Athearn site and on Internet Trains, all they offer are model numbers and terms like "Amtrak #1", and "Amtrak #2" or "Intercity" and "Northeast Corridor" They don't use the traditional terms like "Phase III" and "Phase IV" I wrote to Athearn and their explanation did not offer much clarification. I'm getting frustrated. Can anyone help?

By the way, I will be running these on 18" curves. I find the Walther's Superliners will go round the curves with no trouble (though they do look a bit goofy). I am hoping the locomotive will as well. If it won't work, tell me now!

My long term plan is to buy additional Superliners to have at least one sleeper and two coaches, along with a baggage car, and maybe a transition sleeper. But I plan to build this gradually to keep costs manageable.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kato has an excellent selection in N. I have about a dozen of them in all phase schemes.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately (and I forgot to mention) I need HO. Yes, Kato has what I want in the wrong scale.

Athearn told me that Walthers has exclusive rights to the Phase V scheme in HO, though Walthers farmed out the manufacturing to Athearn.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bnsf
Member # 1971

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for bnsf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alot of the variations of the 'genesis' diesel are internal with only minor external diffrences. An athearn 'genesis' will go round an 18" curve but with cars coupled you will be really pushing it. With this sort of equipment 30" would be a desirable minimum though with careful tracklaying you could get away with 22"
hope this helps

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to break it to you but the Athearn/Walthers phase V P42's are extremely hard to get! A few were on eBay in the past and all were very pricey.

As of now, all of the previous phase V's (#'s 182, 163, 184, 146) are sold out everywhere. A new batch (#'s 203, 134, and 207) is coming out soon and if you want them, act fast. As all of us Amtrak modelers want them

The Athearn kits come in all of the phases Amtrak used. Phase III(fade and constant sripes), IV(Intercity and Northeast Corridor). It's hard to describe the differences of the paint schemes. I've posted a picture of each of the major schemes to help you. For more info see this link.
http://www.4rr.com/INTRO/top_001.htm

As for P40, P42, AMD-103 The P40's were the first of the Genesis locos (#800-843)(P=passenger, 40=4000 horsepower). The P42's are the newest (#1-207)(P=passenger, 42=4250 horsepower). AMD-103 is another name for Genesis, and the computer proccesor is an AMD.

If you want a showpiece loco check out the Details West detail set link below.
http://www.detailswest.com/amtrak.htm

Good luck. Glad to see another Amtrak modeling fan out there.

Phase III fade (note the faded look at the end)

Phase III solid stripe (note tristripes do not fade at the end)

Intercity Phase IV (note all silver roof and sides)

Northeast Corridor Phase IV (note the name on the front and grey roof)

[This message has been edited by Southwest Chief (edited 10-06-2003).]

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. This has really helped a lot. I'll take your comments in order.

BNSF wrote:

quote:
An athearn 'genesis' will go round an 18" curve but with cars coupled you will be really pushing it.

Can you explain what you mean by "pushing it?" What sort of troubles might I encounter?

For those who aren't aware, my "layout" is nothing more than a shelf around the upper perimeter of our dining room. I don't have space in our little cottage for a traditional layout.

I have some 85' Phase I IHC Amtrak cars and they go around just fine pulled by a powered Athearn F7A and an F7B dummy. They look a little goofy if you watch where the cars meet, but there are no problems with the physics. The Superliners do likewise, but they've had trouble staying connected to the F7 locomotive for some reason. But that was just a brief experiment, F7s and Superliners are anachronistic. If I have the same trouble with a Genesis, should I try longer couplers?

I use Power-Loc track and I do have some 22" curves, but they don't quite fit on the shelf.

Chief, thanks for the pix. I am familiar with the Phase III variants and Phase IV schemes, but I didn't realize the differences with the NEC scheme. With the help of your photos I was able to decipher the message from Athearn. Evidently their "Amtrak" scheme refers to Phase III and "Intercity" refers to Phase IV.

I actually rode the Starlight with a grey top/front NEC locomotive (#52)leading in May 2001. I have a photo of it coming into Salinas on this page: http://hometown.aol.com/mptoybox2/starlight_run_may_2001.html

Though I really want a Phase V, I don't want to spend the $$$ for one. I'm thinking I should go with a kit and save my money for additional Superliners. And in case I can't get it to work on my 18" curves I won't be out too much money.

Having now had the opportunity to see all schemes and variants in one place, I'm leaning towards Phase IV for looks, as it most closely matches the Superliner Phase IV scheme. But I have never actually seen a Phase IV unit in real life, save for the NEC unit #52 mentioned above.

Most of the Amtrak trains I have actually seen prior to Phase V were in Phase III, so I am torn between wanting to run the colors I have actually encountered, and the scheme I like better. I don't think too many locomotives were actually painted in Phase IV.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the help. I'll let you know how it works out.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't own Athearn or the Superliners.

I do own the Budds(recommended 24"radius) and run them on 22". I substituted KD # 26 longer shank couplers to eliminate de-railments on the 22"curve because the diaphragms were rubbing and the cars have limited lateral truck swing.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bnsf
Member # 1971

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for bnsf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By 'pushing it' i mean your luck in terms of reliability. P40/2's and superliner cars are big pieces of equipment. If your track is good and you dont operate at 200mph you should be ok. Though some modifications of equipment may be necessary (substituting longer shanked couplers for example) and checking the wheelsets are in gauge. Out of interest i have 2 n-scale kato p42's with 8 superliner cars and deluxe innovations roadrailers and this train looks just ok on 18" curves!! Most of my curves are 12" or greater. Hope this information helps.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The saga continues...

I found a great deal on a closeout at http://www.lankel.com I got an Athearn P40 Phase III (fading stripes) #838 (with the "Opportunity, Responsibility, Community" motto on the side), for just $30!

Plus! I got a Phase III (solid stripes) P42 dummy for just $13!

I figure I can just swap the shells if I want to lead with the P42.

The service was fast. I ordered Sunday night and they arrived on Wednesday, having been shipped from South Dakota all the way to California. Shipping was just $6.50, about two dollars less than Internet Trains' minimum shipping, and about a week faster.

I have run the powered unit a little, but it is still in the assembly stages, so I don't have couplers attached yet. They both came with horn and hook couplers, which surprised me, but since this was a closeout, they may have been from an older production run. I think I have enough Kadee #5 couplers on hand to do at least one of them, maybe both.

My only concern is that it seems to run a bit loud. Might it need a little lubrication somewhere, or is that just typical for the model?

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Athearn P-40/42's are loud. Perhaps some lube may help. But these locos do not have the upper quality Athearn Genesis series motors, so don't expect too much. But they should still be good runners. If not, then there may be a problem.

Good luck with your trainset.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If properly tuned up the old Athearn drive can be made to operate very well, and as quiet as anything on the market. Jim Furhman has instructions on his web site for tuning up Athearn drives. I tried posting his web address, but I don't know how to get this board to add a link. When I tried openning it from Yahoo, I had no luck. Go to www.trainweb.org/ocmr/ then go to "Members Pages" and go to Jim Furhman's web page. He has a wealth of information on his site, but click on his Athearn tune up clinic. Jim has Athearn locomotives that he has tuned up that run as well as any model on the market! The open framed Athearn motors draw more power than the can motors, but not a lot more when properly tuned. If you are running your trains around a room, you could increase the radius at the corners by "bridging across" and increase your radius to 30" without losing much space in the room. Just use flex track on cork roadbed on the corners.

[This message has been edited by Russ Bellinis (edited 10-24-2003).]

Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page