RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » HO SCale » Opinions

Author Topic: Opinions
NewHavenFan
Member # 2150

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for NewHavenFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello , I am NEW to this hobby , and I am in the process of planning out and constucting my first layout... I am interested in purchasing a New Haven GG1 for my HO scale layout.. I am presently looking at the IHC premier series... Can I get any opinions on this loco , or GG1's by other manufacturers ( preferably in the $100 range ) ?? Thanks in advance for your replies !
Posts: 40 | From: Stafford Springs , CT. , USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kennedy Model Trains
Member # 808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennedy Model Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, my experience with these has been that the more money you spend, the better the product you get. Try cruising the train shows. I picked up a very decent model, I forget which manufacturer, for less than $20. Great deals are out there.

Jared

Posts: 61 | From: New London, CT, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can spend over $200.00 for the latest version from Broadway Limited but for $60.00
you can get your moneies worth from IHC.

Go to their site, www.ihc-hobby.com and on the left hand side, click on the on line catalog,
then click on HO, then locomotives, GG1. When the GG1 model pops up, put your mouse over the picture and click. This will bring up all the road names/prices.

They have a few pages of GG1 at a cheap price
plus shipping.

Happy railroading.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 12-17-2002).]

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NewHavenFan
Member # 2150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewHavenFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys , for the replies ! I tend to be a bit impulsive at times , but , I have decided to do this project the "right" way and get opinions FIRST !! I figure this will save me a LOT of headaches in the long run , and add to my enjoyment of my new found hobby ! Thanks again ! BTW , if anyone else has any opinions on the GG1 I have asked about , or others , your opinions would be appreciated !
Posts: 40 | From: Stafford Springs , CT. , USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this site out. http://www.broadway-limited.com/products/
Left hand side, click on GG1.
These will probably be discounted at 20% off
plus shipping.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the train show route is a very good way to go, as well as checking out ihc's site. you mention a new haven gg-1. while i fully realize that this is YOUR model railroad, and you can run whatever you wish, if you are modeling a prototype, i do not recall the new haven ever having a gg-1. again, it's your little world, paint and decals can do wonders! just wanted to let you know so as not to get frustrated over a hard time finding a new haven model. good luck!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by conrailkid:
[B i do not recall the new haven ever having a gg-1. [/B]

There's one listed on the IHC site.

NewHavenFan
Member # 2150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewHavenFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on New Haven NEVER having a GG1... Although they may have never had one , I would like one on MY layout ! The GG1 looks like a classic design to me , and I always liked the New Haven paint schemes , having been a lifelong CT. resident... Has anyone seen ( or own ) a IHC GG1 ? How is the quality and detail ( I realize that you get what you pay for , and IHC is asking about $65 for this model ) ... Also , I purchased a Bachman 4-8-4 Daylight on E-Bay , ( not too happy ) ... I heard ( after the purchase , unfortunately ) they had quite a bit of problems with these loco's ... I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I purchased this one . So much for looks ... Opinions on this loco ? ( I think I will need to send it to Bachman for warranty service , as it keeps "cutting out" , and I hear this is common ) .. Thanks again !
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
I had a GG1 a few years back and will assume it
was a IHC.
FAST but not much detail. Don't believe they come with knuckle couplers
Steam locos are finicky-temperamental and in some cases problematic.
Unfortunately, Bachmann does not enjoy a great reputation but they do carry a limited life time warranty.
You can go to www.bachmanntrains.com and look for "Ask the Bach-man and post your problem.

Most of my steam problems has been insufficient electrical wheel pick-ups thus causing slight stalls-hesitation etc.
Been burnt by steam many-many times.

NewHavenFan
Member # 2150

Rate Member
O.K. ... I have decide to pass on the IHC GG1 after having a good look at it.. Yes , it is lacking in detail... I now have my sights set on a NH Stewart U25B with a Stewart drive ( I understand they came with Athearn , Kato and Stewart drives )... Is the Stewart the best drive on this model (it is slightly more expensive than the Kato , and much more than the Athearn )?? Is there something else I should be looking at out there in the $100 range , that is similar to this in looks ( and better in performance ) ??? ( I like the looks of this loco , but I realize it's prformance that counts in the long run ) ! Thanks again for the help to a newbie !
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Both the Kato and Stewarts have good reputations but which one is better?

Stewart units generally have a lifetime warranty where Kato only has either two or three months.

Standard hobby listed in Modelrailroader sells some Stewarts at a discounted price plus $9.00 shipping but no sales tax.

Standard has one left,Stewart stock #7211 for $70.00 plus $9.00 shipping. No tax.
For orders only, 1-800-223-1355 www.standardhobby.com

According to MR, June 2000 , Stewart was the only model manufacturer of the U25B which was made by GE, 1959 thru 1966.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 12-19-2002).]

Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Just talked to Standard Hobby.

They have one NH U25B left for $70.00 plus $9.00 shipping. No Tax.

Stewart stock # 7211.

Orders 1-800-223-1355
Put it on a charge and it may go out Friday.
Happy railroading.

NewHavenFan
Member # 2150

Rate Member
Thanks for the info , Chuck !! I snagged the last NH U25B ( Stewart Phase 2 drive ) , they had !! $79 Total ... Not too bad , huh ? Let me know if you guys see any more good deals on NH Loco's !! I am not so worried about whether they ACTUALLY ran on the NH line , but I just want decent quality , and nicely detailed Loco's !! Thanks again !! Bryan. ( I still would like to find a nicely detailed GG1 , but , from what I can tell , IHC is the only one making them right now ) ...
NewHavenFan
Member # 2150

Rate Member
Do you know of anyone who makes a BLACK New Haven caboose ? I saw one one , but I forgot where... Thanks , Bryan.
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Go to www.athearn.com and click on rolling stock. Scroll down to caboose, stock # 1259 in red, not black. Maybe black not available?

Comes unassembled. You may wish to review the
quality of the couplers and wheel sets as most modelers up grade these athearn parts.
www.bachmanntrains.com is another big player but I counldn't pull down their rolling stock.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 12-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 12-20-2002).]

NewHavenFan
Member # 2150

Rate Member
Does anyone know how the detail and reliability of ( or smoothness of operation ) of AHM/Rivarossi GG1's are compared to the IHC models ? I'm looking at one online , and I am thinking of possibly customizing it in NH colors ?? Thanks , Bryan.
HO fan
Member # 2186

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HO fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Agree with the first reply. Train swapmeets are the best for a newbie.
I am not experienced myself, but i found all of my RR stuff in swapmeets, train shows, and flea markets.

------------------
ASPARUH FRANGOV-THE BEST OF THE BEST

Posts: 8 | From: Sofia, Bulgaria | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page