RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » HO SCale » Why does Kadee expect us to have the skills of a jeweler?

Author Topic: Why does Kadee expect us to have the skills of a jeweler?
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This last Christmas my mother gave me a Kadee logging caboose, basically an outhouse on wheels. It looked cute, and I thought it would be a fun addition to my train set.

But when I went to assemble the couplers, I was horrified to see the the tiniest of parts, including a microscopic spring, made of very fine wire, thin as a hair. Then there were these teeny tiny short posts of metal, about 1 mm long, that were supposed to be inserted into the spring. Then the spring was to be inserted into a gap at the inside end of the coupler. Needless to say, I never got the tiny post into the tiny spring, much less that into the coupler.

People rave about Kadee couplers, but this is positively insane. I'm probably an average modeler, perhaps a tad closer to a novice than an expert. I don't have jewelers tools, or skills, nor is obtaining these worth my time and money. The least Kadee sould do is note on the box that advanced skills and specialized tools are needed for assembly. Grrrrr. [Mad]

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.kadee.com/htmbord/page158.htm

I usually place the spring/coupler in a BIG box, then install. This way, the spring can't fly out.

--------------------
CHUCK

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck, that link shows a tool for holding a spring. I've managed to use a tiny screwdriver to accomplish the same thing for the copper colored springs on the business end of the coupler. Its a pain, but it works.

But these little springs inside the other end are much finer. They flex in the slightest breeze, and squish at the slightest touch. Moreover the teeny post that is supposed to go inside is too small to properly grip with tweezers. It is about the size of a grain of sand. Manipulating such microscopic items is not a skill that many people posess.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guys, what're you whining about, you can use a small drill bit to hold the spring, or spend $6 to buy that tool they made specifically for that purpose...you oughta try working with N scale or Z scale...and stop wasting space

--------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page