RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » HO SCale » Bachmann HO scale quality

Author Topic: Bachmann HO scale quality
Tuud
Member # 2943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tuud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I found a Bachmann HO scale train set on Internettrains.com for $41.98.
I'm wondering if the low price might be a sign of poor quality.

Posts: 27 | From: Lewisburg, PA, US | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which set? Content's?
Personaly I have never had a problem with any Bachman equipment I have ownd,with one exeption.The "old time" 4-4-0 with the drive motor in the tender was a real problem as the drive shaft would bind on even a modest curve or slow speed.A tight curve would jam it up solid and flip it's self on it's side.

MM

Posts: 38 | From: Medicine Hat Alberta Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Bachmann train set locos have the toy train powered truck on one end of the locowith just a pick up on the other truck. They won't pull much at all. If the set says the locomotives are Bachmann Plus, or Spectrum, that is a different story, but you probably won't get a Bachmann Plus or Spectrum set for that price unless the company is trying to get rid of the last ones.
Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuud
Member # 2943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tuud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well MM, Thanks for the advice. I can probably order it since you haven't had any
problems.

Posts: 27 | From: Lewisburg, PA, US | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, don't expect too much for $41.98 You get what you pay for. In a nut shell, it's whats under the shell that counts

Unfortunately Bachmann does not enjoy a good reputation.

Their Premium steam locos have made some improvements but they have some catching up to do in other areas.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are looking at the "Santa Fe Flyer" set,that's a start point. One thing you "may" want to look at is not useing the EZ-Track that comes with the set's. Don't get me wrong it's good track but is pricey. I just recieved a box(25 piece's=75')of Atlas N/S FlexTrack and a box(25 piece's=75') of Midwest Cork roadbed.

Track =$59.75
Roadbed =$23.50
for a total of $83.25

This same distance in Bachman EZ-Trach is $136. For a saveings in my pocket of $52.75.

The set comes with a 36" circle,after about 15 minute's of watching the locomotive chase the caboose,watching paint dry will become interesting.
Granted you will not need anywere near that much to start with,but going going to a smaller layout:
2 packege's Atlas 22" radius curve's =$7.92
4 36" FlexTrack =$9.56
Total =$17.48
and you suddenly have an oval thats 44" by 9 1/2 feet long.
This may be more than you want to spend right now but it is worth looking ahead to.

MM

Posts: 38 | From: Medicine Hat Alberta Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not consider Bachman as something to be used by model railroaders. They are toys for children to play with. Buy better quality products and you will be a lot happier in the long run.

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick read of your bio Tuud,being a collage student,this layout is not going to be a 10 to 15 year project,and unless you have a dorm to your self,space is going to be an issue as well.And everybody knows student's get a massive pay cheque every two week's.

MM

Tuud
Member # 2943

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Tuud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
sorry, but iv'e already ordered the set and some extra track. what should i DO!!!

Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dtermined your options with internetrains.

If it's already been shipped you eat the return postage and perhaps restocking fees.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 01-02-2004).]

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Go back to the home page www.internettrains.com CLICK on buyer protection.
Then click on testimonials, questions & feedback.
Then click on, how do I cancel an order.

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTOH, a few years back I purchased one of these HO sets and an N scale set. Played around with them for a few weeks, getting familiar with scale and other factors before I decided on what scale I wanted to get into on a more serious basis. The learning experience was invaluable.

I went with N and gave away the HO set to a local father and kid in like-new condition. The N track I've pretty much discarded, but the engine and cars are excellent first-run guinea pigs for the "real" model. Yes, the Bachman will survive a 4 foot fall to the concrete floor! Once, at least!!!

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Set it up on a 3/4" sheet of plywood and run it.If it is defective then you can rightly send it back,if on the other hand,after a few month's(having added 3-4 more car's,piece's of track,etc)you deside that model railroading is not for you at this point in your life,you are not out a massive amount of money(or having a mortgage to pay for a high end set).
Or you will have a start on you railroading empire.

MM

conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
medicine man is right. this is a good place to start in the hobby, and with a little investment, less than $100, you can have some real fun. bachman may not be the best name in model trains, but then again, they are not all that bad either. even the "toy" trains that they sell run reasonably well, and if it turns out to have better equipment, i.e. the spectrum series, or if you opt to later buy spectrum series, you are getting some rather nice stuff. again, it all comes down to what you wish to do, along with the amount of space you have, and the amout of money you want to invest in the hobby. any way you slice it, set up the set and enjoy yourself!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuud
Member # 2943

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tuud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
the arrived today and I set up a circle on the floor and played around abit and it seems to work fine.

Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As if there was any dought. Watch it now,cuz before you know it you will have 200 feet of track,100 car's,a bunch of loco's,box's and bag's of ground foam in every shade and texture,and then you will find you are just as corrupted as the rest of us!!!!

MM

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page