RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » N Scale » Kato Engines

Author Topic: Kato Engines
Conducter1
Member # 4364

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conducter1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have 2 Kato AC4400CW. One of them started to make a thumping noise. Was going to get it fixed untill I ran it backwards and the noise stopped. Now it does not do it. Anyone have any idea what caused this?

--------------------
Conducter1

Posts: 10 | From: Ames, Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian R.
Member # 4563

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian R.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a gear could have been out of alignment. throwing it in reverse could have jimmied it back into place.
Posts: 6 | From: Hatfield, Pa | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Conducter1
Member # 4364

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conducter1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I wasn't really sure what took place and your answer sure makes sence..It hasn't done it again so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

--------------------
Conducter1

Posts: 10 | From: Ames, Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delta_Force99
Member # 7291

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta_Force99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had two atlas locomotives do that, and the motors actually fried. I run digitrax dcc. the locomotives i was running did not have a decoder installed. if you remove the shell, take a wiff of the motor, if it fried you'll know it. they smell really bad.
Posts: 3 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem I had with a Kato engine was that it wouldn't couple to Micro-Trains cars. The Kato couplers have a part of the knuckle that sticks off the side of the knuckle and stops them from engaging the MT couplers. After shaving the bump off the Kato with a knife, they coupled without difficulty.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page