RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » O Scale » Ballast problems

Author Topic: Ballast problems
Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a layout that has ballast around the tracks. The track is 3 rail O-27 gauge. The problem is after lubricating my engine's wheel sets the ballast gets worked up and sticks to the trucks. Some times ballast gets stuck on the gears and jams up the motor. Is there away to stop this with out taking up all the ballast? I know I'm going to have to thin out some areas where it is rather thick. Also is there away to efficiently regulate how much ballast is put down? Ideas or inventions? -Thanks
Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you don't have your ballast glued down. That can be done w/ watered-down white glue. Get the ballast they way you want to look & clear of switch points, etc. Spray the ballast w/ a water & liquid soap mixture. Drip the watered-down glue on that. Let dry then repeat a couple of more times til all the ballast is secure.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your ballast should "LOOK" loose,but infact be hard like "CONCRETE". I vacume(on the low volume setting) clean my ballast every second month or so to remove the dust and crud(you would be amazed at what will find it's way there)that shows up.

MM

Posts: 38 | From: Medicine Hat Alberta Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page