RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Bachmann E-Z Track

Author Topic: Bachmann E-Z Track
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all:

I have a vision (and about 15 feet of track already laid). I'm running an Amtrak Superliner train around my house at about 7 feet above the floor. It will be 100 feet long.

I intend to use an Atlas curved cord truss bridge and pony truss bridge to span a 9 foot area (4 curved cords and 5 pony trusses). I'm also using Bachmann E-Z Track because they have a 35 1/2 inch radius curve. I need that radius for the Superliner equipment.

My problem is: How do I transition between the E-Z Track and the Atlas bridge track? Is there a ready made piece of track, or do I have to break out the Dremel tool and make one?

I have bought about 20% of the track I would need, so if I'm really messing-up attempting this with E-Z Track, NOW is the time to let me know! This is my first excursion into model railroading, so all help is appreciated. (I've been thinking about this project for almost 2 years and have decided that this will be my "winter" project.)

Thanks,
Mike Smith

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 01-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 01-19-2001).]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike....I'm afraid you are right, the only way, I believe, to make that transition, is to construct it yourself. Just be sure to, think it through, before you get started. I used these same bridges on my layout, but I used code 100, Atlas Flex track. Take your time, YOU CAN DO IT!!! Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHOA!!!
This was too easy!

My Dremel and the cutting disk modified a piece of E-Z track in about 2 minutes. I just shaved off the pieces of plastic that I didn't need. It fits onto the track on the bridge almost perfectly. I'll need to add a very thin shim under the track so it will mate up with (be completely level with) the plastic tab that connects the bridge pieces, then I can screw them together and it will stay totally secure and level.

I did take it pretty slow, Richard.
BTW, are you related to Matt (currently in Maryland)?

Now, about the E-Z Track?

[This message has been edited by mikesmith (edited 01-20-2001).]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richarddschivley
Member # 274

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for richarddschivley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike... Glad to hear it went so easily, with the track transition! I don't know if I'm any, "kin", to Matt! My father did have a brother, who lived in, Fredrick, MD. Whether or not there is a connection, I'd need to know more. Happy modeling, Mike. Richard
Posts: 144 | From: Yanceyville,NC. USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page