RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Oriental LTD.parts & paint

Author Topic: Oriental LTD.parts & paint
hohenry
Member # 1061

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for hohenry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently purchased 2 Oriental LTD 4-6-2's (HO) and both are missing front wheels.Was wondering if anyone out there knows of any replacement parts avaliable for this engine.Or for that fact, anything that will fit.Also, I've tried painting the model (cast) twice with no luck.The paint chips very easily.Tried Polyscale with primer, no luck.What do I clean the surface with before painting? Any help will be appreciated. Mark
Posts: 1 | From: corona,ca USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kennedy Model Trains
Member # 808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennedy Model Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might be able to get parts from NWSL, depending on what size the wheels are, and what type of axles they use. As for paint, for cast models, and brass formed models I usually first soak in brake fluid or laquer thinner, and then clean with alcohol. I then use either Tamiya paints or the Polly Scale paints, and bake the model to set the color permanently. The best bet for baking is first to make sure that there is no plastic, then heat the oven to the lowest setting. I usually turn the oven off and wait a few minutes, then with it off, put the model in for 5-20 mins, depending on size. I am building a much more sophisticated oven specifically for my models.

------------------
Jared Kennedy
Kennedy Model Trains
ALCORS-11@juno.com

Posts: 61 | From: New London, CT, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The key to a good pant job is preparation. Metal locomotives must be ABSOLUTLEY Clean if painting is to be successful and paint chipping after the paint is applied is to be avoided. This means that that the locomotive should be dissambled and the parts cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner, or first quartz-blasted and then ultrasonically cleaned. Once the cleaning process commences, NONE of the parts should be touched. Human skin contains oils which prevent the paint from strongly adhering to the metal surface.

When I paint a locomotive, I generally apply the paint as soon after cleaning as possible. It is not unusual for the cleaning process to take 6-8 hours. The actual painting with an airbrush takes a lot less time.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page