RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Old train setup advice

Author Topic: Old train setup advice
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an American Flyer train set my Grandfather gave me in 1954 when I was four. It hasn't been used in certainly 20 years. I now have a four year old son (Yes i am a bit old to have a 4 y/o but I was busy playing with the trains...) and so I decided it is time for the next generation to get to play engineer. I know it was put away carefully, etc. and was running fine when put away. Can I still get the little smoke capsules to put in the engine? Is it wise/safe to use the old transformer? What should I use to clean the track? What advice do y'all have on setting it all up again? I am not an experienced model railroader, just some guy with an old train in the closet. Thanks in advance.
Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thirdrail
Member # 1031

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for thirdrail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding your old American Flyer, if the transformer is in good condition and the wiring is not frayed, it would be perfectly safe to use, but I honestly question the safety of ANY electrical toy in the hands of a four year old. The smoke capsules are not easy to find, but get a copy of the magazine "Classic Toy Trains" and you should find someone in there advertising them for sale. Is the track rusted? If not, I would clean it with Radio Shack TV Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant, which promotes electrical contact.

One point, though, if you have a 1954 train in excellent condition in the original boxes, you may be able to get so much money for it that you could buy him TEN currently manufactured trains. So, unless you feel it is important for your son to play with what was your toy, I'd certainly explore that route. I'd at least see what comparable sets were bringing on eBay.

[This message has been edited by thirdrail (edited 03-30-2002).]

Posts: 23 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Thirdrail!! He will be playing with it only under close supervision. Your caution is well advised.

Thanks for the tips on the train. It is in good shape but not in original boxes or anything like that. The locomotive still has some vaseline in the gear box. The wires are not frayed and the transformer hums as it always did. The tracks aren't rusty but seem rather dull. And regardless of the cash value, I would rather keep it. We've had it this long...

Inspired by the happy modelers posting on the section of trainweb, I may just go out, get a board, tack it down and start a layout.

Thanks again!!

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do indeed have a collectable. I did have a 1951 set.
Electrical rail contact is critical on all gauges.
Today I'm in HO and suggest you go to the folling site for CLEAN TRACKS ADHEAD. http://www.ttx-dcc.com/technews/clean_machine.htm
Has great infor on cleaning procedures and liquid cleaning solutions etc.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page