RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » CONVERTING O SCALE TO HO SCALE

Author Topic: CONVERTING O SCALE TO HO SCALE
krom123
Member # 1951

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for krom123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CAN ANYONE HELP. I AM CONVERTING THE SPARE BEDROOM TO A HO TRAIN LAYOUT FOR THE GRAND-CHILDREN AND MYSELF. A FRIEND GAVE ME 2 O SCALE RAILKING CROSSING GATES. CAN THEY BE CONVERTED OR USED WITH THE HO SCALE. IF SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THRE ARE A TOTAL OF 6 WIRES FROM THE O SCALE. THANKS
Posts: 1 | From: carlisle. pa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom H
Member # 53

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they can be used, if you do not mind them being about twice the size of HO scale.
It is your railroad, so have fun with it & keep on railroading!
Tom

Posts: 57 | From: Hudson, Fl USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GG-1
Member # 1915

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for GG-1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can be used as long as you don't mind them being a little out of place. What you could do is maybe trim them down some or see if they could be used for some other purpose (I wish I could think of something but alas, I can't). I hope that you find some use for them and enjoy the layout!

Cheers

Posts: 11 | From: Pittsburgh,PA,USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding your problem with crossing gates.
The O scale crossing gates can be used for an HO scale layout. However It will be about as twice as large for the trains you will be running. My sugestion would be to use one of iether the Bachmann or Life-Like automatic crossing gate offerings. The system is fully contained on both. As the train approaches the gate lowers and as the train leaves the gate raises. All you have to do is make sure that there is a 9 inch gap in track and road bed and drop the gate in. You might have to do some shimming to make sure alignment is correct. On Bachmann and Life-Like crossing gates, they include a 9 inch straight track fixed to an aprox 9" by 9" square scenic base. Complete with road way. You can detail that to suit your liking.

As a foot note. If you can find them, the Tyco crossing gates from the late 1970s would also work well here.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
recess
Member # 1301

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for recess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one other issue. Railking is designed to run on AC. HO runs on DC.
Posts: 2 | From: Pound Ridge, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page