RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » designing layout: having no fun

Author Topic: designing layout: having no fun
plstktnkr2
Member # 86

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for plstktnkr2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to design a layout to fit in a 26x24 room to do cajon pass and wish to devide layout into scenes ,and duplicating real places with the help of usgs terrain maps this is my first big project and I'm in over my head (design-wise)does anybody have suggestions,track plans? scale is ho(or does anyone want to trade n scale for HO?)time period is the 30's thru 1960

------------------
Daylights, Gone but not forgotton

Posts: 9 | From: sharpsburg,md,usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kennedy Model Trains
Member # 808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennedy Model Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own and operate a growing model train layout design and construction firm, and also custom paint, repair, and build model trains. For basic concept designs prices are extremely reasonable, and I also offer layouts built to any level of finish, from track and benchwork to museum-quality true to life detailing.

Jared

Posts: 61 | From: New London, CT, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey jared, do you have a web-site on the layout design service you offer? i want to re-do mine, a free-lance hard-core eastern mainline in ho scale, within a 12x16 L shape,any help would be nice!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kennedy Model Trains
Member # 808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennedy Model Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I no longer have a website. It didn't get enough traffic to support it's maintenance, but hopefully, I will have one back up soon. Until then, just contact me with any questions you may have.
ALCORS-11@juno.com

Jared

Posts: 61 | From: New London, CT, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we are on the topic of custom painting, layout desing, and websites, I would like to throw my hat into the ring. I am in the same business a Jarod here. However, I almost have more business than I can handle at the moment.

My web site is currently still being developed but what is currently available can be viewed at http://w3.trib.com/~mrljim/

I the Custom painteing page will be done as far as I can complete it at the present time by tomorow. I expect the Model railroad design page to be functioning within a week.

Thanks for your interest

James

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plstktnkr2
Member # 86

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for plstktnkr2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys but I need answers to design questions not someone to design for me. thanks but money is too tight to throw away money on something I can do . What I do need is a reasonable explanation about how far apart yard tracks are and what switches to use and what distance is needed for a turntable's access tracks, et al

------------------
Daylights, Gone but not forgotton

Posts: 9 | From: sharpsburg,md,usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh OK I got you. As a common rule I use 2 1/2 inch track centers in yards. I know the NMRA specs say 2, but if you have large fingers like me, the extra room is a godsend when you go to rerail derailed cars. This is assuming HO scale of coarse. Given your layout space I would use #6 through 8 Switches for Mainline track turnouts and use #4s in the yards. This will allow flexability in track arrangment. As for Turntables, I have used Mainly Kit Turndables and roundhouses in the past so spacing wasn't a real hard to figure out. However its my suggestion that they are arrayed so that they are no closer then the ties of the varius traks toch as the reach the pit. If you get any closer, you will have to start considering laying special track.

I also reccomend you get the book "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" by John Armstrong. It covers all the things one needs to consider while designing their layout. I have it and have read the thing nearly 5 times.

If you aren't looking for layout desing services, my company does perform several other services as well that you might be interested in.

Here is the web site.
http://w3.trib.com/~mrljim/

James

P.S. All examples stated are assuming HO scale.

[This message has been edited by Challenger (edited 11-08-2002).]

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kennedy Model Trains
Member # 808

Rate Member
For turntables, I have several times followed Dave Frary's example, and made a plug-in unit. While not indexable, it works extremely well. Using a monophonic headphone jack (available from Radio Shack), you can create a very realistic free- moving turntable capable of powering the track. Also, it provides a more realistic turntable to use with Atlas's roundhouses.

Jared

plstktnkr2
Member # 86

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for plstktnkr2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the turn table I will be using is a 134'table from diamond scale models with full indexing and will be using a scratchbuilt roundhouse(suitably downsized for my yard)and a transfer table to connect in my car shops. I am figuring my yard and engine facility will be about 8'x12'or more.
usbureaucrat
Member # 2109

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for usbureaucrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Armstrong's Cajon pass plan (10x20) is excellent.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page