RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » DCC

Author Topic: DCC
caboosehop
Member # 814

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caboosehop   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few ancient Rivarossi articulated locos and would like fit them for DCC. They have the old style motor .Do I have to repower or fit high amp decoders?
Posts: 14 | From: Riverton, Southland, New Zealand | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In your scenareo, it really comes out a wash. I am in the custom painting business and do decoder instiallation as part of my packagae. I have found that while you can go ahead and use a high amperage decoder in your old high amp locos, a new low amparage motor is usually cheaper than than the High Amp decoder. In one instance on a Brass Pacific Fast Mail 4-6-2, the new motor and decoder combined were the same price as a High Amp decoder. So its up to you what you want to do.
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kennedy Model Trains
Member # 808

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kennedy Model Trains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would probably be best off both repowering and regearing. Depending on the specific model of your locomotives, NWSL may make gears and wheelsets for them, and this, with a new motor, can allow much more realistic operation. Also, I believe you can only get "silent" decoders as low-amp models.

Jared

Posts: 61 | From: New London, CT, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as your situation goes, how long has it been since the loco's were operated? if they have been 'dead' for a while, it would probably prevent semi-costly, time-consuming repowering and re-gearing 4 or 5 months from now, if you go ahead and take care of those jobs now, rather than hoping the old motors and gearsets hold up.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page