RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » K's model locomotives

Author Topic: K's model locomotives
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just purchased an older K's model locomotive kit. It's OO scale, which, from my impressions, can be run (with some modifications) on HO scale track. has anyone had experience with gear from this particular company? If so, was it positive or negative? I'm looking forward to feedback, as this particular kit is a Beyer Garratt, which is something very difficult (if not impossible) to purchase in the US. Also, are there any other modelers out there who run Beyer Garratts in the smaller gauges, such as OO ?
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom H
Member # 53

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OO and HO are two distinct scales. HO is 3.5 mm to the foot, OO is 4 mm to the foot.
About the only exception that I know of are some of the European models built for US use, which are labeled as OO/HO, meaning that the car and locomotive bodies are built on a scale of 4 mm to the foot, EXCEPT for the guage of the wheels which is calculated at 3.5 mm to the foot.
To run true OO guage eguipment on HO track, you would have to press the wheels in on the axels until they meet HO standards, This may be a problem with locos, as you may have to shave the frame down to allow this.

Tom H
Have FUN & Keep on Railroading.

Posts: 57 | From: Hudson, Fl USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page