RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » I implore all of you...why so expensive?

Author Topic: I implore all of you...why so expensive?
CPCTC
Member # 2315

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CPCTC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am obviously new here, so don't bask in the glory of me being a 'newbie.'

I am puzzled by the immense cost of model railroading. Why does it cost at least a hundred just to start something considerable in this hobby. Whatever happened to buying a Lionel trainset just for a twenty? Have times changed that drastically?

Please enlighten me.

Posts: 5 | From: NYC (Queens), New York, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an HO guy and assume you're talking Lionel.

Just a short two years ago Lionel production was in Chesterfield MI USA.

550 workers were members of the United Auto Workers and they don't work cheap.

In order to maximize profits production went overseas.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and it's only getting worse! in ho scale, i can remember not too long ago when you could buy altas locomotives for less than $30, and athearn was typically less than $25. shame it has to be this way, although the quality has improved over the years, the prices manufacturers have been asking for has been bordering lately on the obscene. i'd suggest checking out train shows, swap meets-flea markets and the old reliable...garage sales. i have found lots of good stuff at realistic prices at these places.
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

I have been monitoring the rising price of model trains for the last several years. Part of the price hike can be explained by inflation. But that, in my opinion, is only about 1/10 of the reason. The other 9/10 I beleave come from the new emerging next generation of model railroaders.

Ever since Bachmann Spectrum released their factory superdetailed 2-8-0, these modelers have been demanding high quality, super detail, and exellent painting. However they dont want to do it them selves. By my age, (20 years old) I am a member of this new generation of model builders. Most modelers in my age group have been spoiled by the almost constant ability of instant gratification in their life. So when they take on this new hobby, they expect it here as well.

I am some what of a dinasoar in the model railroad community. I am the only one my age that I know, that knows what the old wooden Ambroid kits were like. I have built a couple. I am the only one that I know that is planning a slew of new rolling stock construction projects. All scratch built. Lastly, I am the only one in my model railroad club, that is planning for the ultamate in craftsmanship ability, a scratch built steam loco.

While my situation presents the extreams in do it your self model railroading, Alot of the less extream is getting buried as well. Walthers in their HO line has comepletely abandoned kits in their rolling stock line in favor of completely ready to run rolling stock. Athearn and MDC are aggressivly expanding their lines of ready to run equipment. And Proto-2000, who has always offered a couple of their roadnumbers for roadnames as ready to run, is expading the quantity of roadnumbers available in ready to run. They have also added "time saver" kits to their line with factory preassembled componets. This preassembling of componets takes away from the challenge that I find so enjoyable from buidling their incredibly detailed kits.

All this building at the factory takes extra time and labor to produce. As such it increaces the cost of production. You have to hire and train more workers so that you may keep your production lines fluid while the assembly process takes place. Special packaging needs to be developed so that locomotive, rolling stock, and their now increaced level of detail are not dammaged. Finally, the increaced level of finish in the painting eats up alot of money. Yes it may be neat to pull out the 6X magnifying glass and find out that your model car was last lubed on your girlfreind's 17th birthday according to the consolodated stencil, but the printing technology to put that on there costs an enormouse amount of money. All these factors contribute to the price of the new rolling stock.

Finally, the number of kit makers are getting smaller and smaller. At the same time the kit makers that are left are starting to serve diverse and distinced nich markets. As such production runs are lower so as not to overflood the market. That means there are less production units to pay for the molds and that is also raising the price of kits. Plus Kits are now also comming out with many of the features I stated above, Though because the modeler has to assemble it them selves, the price is lower.

In closing. I urge all new generation modelers like my self, that the next time your in the hobby shop, to not get that ready to run superdetailed SIECO 60 foot HI-Cube box car you have been eyeing in your favorite road name. But pick up a couple kits of similer cars. They are fun to put together and generally can be ready for the layout in about an evenings worth of fun constrction. All it takes really is a screw driver, Hobby knife, and glue. You can probably even save a buck or two.

Thanks

James.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CPCTC
Member # 2315

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for CPCTC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, thank you for the in-depth answer. As for me, I'll suppose I will hold up this opportunity until I have some decent funds. For now, I'll stick to train sims.
Posts: 5 | From: NYC (Queens), New York, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem. Always glad to help. If you can still find a hobby shop in your area that carries the Athearn and MDC Kits, (the shops in my area are cutting back to a token amount in favor of Ready to Run) You can get your self some pretty decent pieces of rolling stock for less than $10.00 a piece. An Athearn or MDC loco would only be about $30.00 to $40.00 depending on the model.
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CPCTC
Member # 2315

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CPCTC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. If it helps, I live in New York City. I don't even know where to start.
Roger Hensley
Member # 1374

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Hensley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CPCTC:
Thank you. If it helps, I live in New York City. I don't even know where to start.

If you are in the city, you do have a problem. I understand that there are almost no train hobby dealers left there. As much as I hate to say it, mail-order is probably your best bet. you can do it on-line or from magazines like RMC or MR.

Roger

Posts: 80 | From: Anderson, IN USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC
Member # 2065

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any good shops for buying 0 Scale in L.A. and around ?
Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it is disappointing to see the rise in prices, but I think we still have a very inexpensive hobby compared to many. We can still build a complex railroad for a few thousand dollars. After the initial investment, there is little cost in maintenance. Compared to the hours of enjoyment I get from my railroad, I am sure it costs me less than a dollar per hour. What other kind of entertainment can you get for a price that low?

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Hensley
Member # 1374

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Hensley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a directory of many of the hobby shops that have web sites, check out the NMRA Directory at: http://www.nmra.org/directory

Or for a hobby Shop list, visit Rich Weyand's TracTronics web site at: http://users.rcn.com/weyand/

Roger

Posts: 80 | From: Anderson, IN USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that maintenance costs are low if you stay indoors. But if you move to outdoor layouts, like I did, it won't stay that way long . It's a blast outdoors but it's pricy to keep up and maintain the line, kind of like the real thing. Check out my website if anyone would like to see my outdoor layout.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/fdoti/index.html

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
usbureaucrat
Member # 2109

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for usbureaucrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In NYC, check out Trainworld, in Brooklyn. They have another store in Long Island that is called Trainland, I think. Trainworld is right by the subway with a good selection and excellent prices. No, I don't work for them, although I order from them and have visited the store.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page