RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Price x Quality

Author Topic: Price x Quality
ajuca
Member # 2342

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ajuca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the best option (manufacturer) whem we look for quality WITH a good price?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In HO scale. The best bargain for detail, performance and price is locomotives and freight cars manufacturord by Athearn. You get a decent running locomotive with a decent amount of detail for $35-$45 dollars. A typical athern freight car is available for less than $10.00 a piece.
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In HO there's a lot of look alikes and a big spread in price between identical looking models. There are 15 different loco model manufacturers.

In a nut shell, it's what's under that shell that counts

It depends upon afordability.

I don't own Athearn but they have a good reputation.

I own Atlas, Kato, Walthers Train-line, Walthers Rivarossi Allegheny, Lifelike P2K
and Lifelike P1K locos.

Bottom line, I get more bang for my buck out of the LL P1K series and they are cheap enough thru Trainworld who advertises in Modelrailroader.

There's lots of varibles depending upon what you are modeling. Early-late steam, early diesel, modern diesel etc

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd be inclined to agree with challenger. athearn has a great reputation, a reasonable amount of variety, and the prices on the basics- rolling stock and engines other than the genesis series- are very affordable. i run about 30 of their engines, and about 100 of their freight cars, and if i had more room, i'd buy even more. now if we could just get them to make something other than another f7 or sd40...
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do agree that Athearn has a good reputation. I reccomended them because not only do they have a good product, they stand behind them as well. On the few times I have had problems with their products. Which were often caused by operator error. (I.E. Me ) They were always gracious eneugh to send me the new parts I needed free of charge. Athearn Locomotives are the single largest group on my roster at neary 60% of it. There are 6 other manufactures dividing up that remaining 40%. I like their freight car kits, because they are a nice relaxing way to kill a half hour. Plus they are reasonably well detailed, and superdetailing them can be done with a little extra investment detail parts and time. They dont have as much share of my freight car fleet as the locomotives do in that fleet, But Athearn is still the largest contigent at nearly 29%. Model Die Casting (Round House) Takes up another 28%. And Walthers (Made when they still made kits) takes up another 21% or so. The remaining 22% is divided up betweem rebuilt, Bachmann-Life Like-Tyco-IHC Junk, (Kept becasue it is the equipment I got into the hobby with) some old Ambroid Craftsman Kits. Kits from that new company called LBF, and some scratch built pieces.
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Challenger, why not post your manufacturer recommended list again?

It's a new month and we may have a few new lurkers that will benifit from your hands on experience-knowledge & wisdom.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
OK Can do

James

BIG SARGE
Member # 2328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIG SARGE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me throw in another nod toward Athearn. Being a large manufacturer, it's products are blessed with an abundance of "after-market" products. Most detail and super detail companys use Athearn as a sort of standard or baseline and generate tons of products for them. This benefits the modeler in two ways: 1- Relatively inexpensive but reliable, baseline detail products that are widely stocked and easily available 2- Appearance and performance easily "upgradeable" with a large variety of detail and aftermarket products. These improvements can be done according to the modelers time frame. The beginner learns and improves new skills and benefits with a better piece of equipment. The novice and advanced have a versitile "block of clay" that can be molded to their wishes.
For the money, you get a Chevy. Looks good, runs good. With a few bucks and a little bit of creative TLC, you can turn that Chevy into a Cadillac in no time.

Posts: 13 | From: Richmond Hill, Ga, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page