RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Semi-new guy - help!

Author Topic: Semi-new guy - help!
woodguy
Member # 2319

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for woodguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am somewhat new to the hobby. I had an HO 4x8 layout from age 5 to 16. 18 years later, I am setting up another layout, unfortunately only 4x8 again due to lack of space. However, I am discovering a few new aspects of the hobby that I have questions about. For example, I now have an airbrush, I have discovered Kadee couplers, etc.
I have a lot of my old rolling stock, much of which had gotten painted over several times during my early teenage years when I knew no better. I stripped the paint from these using brake fluid, (with great results!) and have since properly sprayed and lettered. However, the trucks need to be painted. When painting (weathering) the trucks, does the overspray need to be removed from the contact area of the wheels to keep the tracks clean? I am using mostly solvent based paints such as Floquil.
I have a couple of F7 units in need of a paint job which will require several colors, and thus several maskings. Does anyone have any suggestions to make the masking sessions easier and less tedious? I have seen a latex product that you brush on, and then slice off in the areas to be painted. Does this product work any better than tape?
This is a long shot, but I am looking for a manufacturer of a model G-8, an NF-210, and an NF-220 locomotive, I believe the prototypes were made by EMC. These were narrow guage locos that were in service in Newfoundland, Canada.
Finally, a really dumb question. When the HP rating is given for a diesel-electric loco, does it refer to the output of the diesel engine, of to the electric traction motors?
I would appreciate any information anyone can provide. I have lots more silly Q's for another time. :-)

Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

First off I would like to welcome you back to the great hobby of model railroading.

To answer your first question, Yes the treads on the wheels need to be kept clean. I reccomend that when you paint the trucks that you remove the wheels. This will keep the wheels clean and allow unfettered acess to the trucks.

On your loco painting question, I am in the loco custom painting business so here is what advise I can part. There is realy no "easy" way to do masking. One thing that might make getting the proper the masking is make copies of the decal sheet. The pinstriping and other areas that define painting edges can be transferred to masking tape and then applied to the model. I have no experience with the latex methods that you mention.

As for a source of the locomotives you are looking for, I know none.

Finally, The Horse Power rating of a locomotive is given as out put of the diesel Engine.

I hope I have been helpful.

James.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey there woodguy!
welcome back to the hobby and enjoy. i agree with challenger's painting tips, but with all do respect, his answer to the question of diesel engine horsepower is incorrect. the horsepower ratings of a diesel locomotive are cumulative, based on the power of either 4 or 6 traction motors, depending on the unit. the primary job of the diesel engine in a locomotive, is to turn a generator which make electricity for the traction motors to use. the diesel may very well deliver similar horsepower to the generator, but when it comes to rating an engine for pulling, it's the number on the traction motors that counts.

Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by conrailkid (edited 03-07-2003).]

Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi conrailkid,

Thanks for the correction. No one has ever really explained the whole thing to be before.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEY woodguy. I also have a 4x8 layout. the best way is to remove the weels before painting those trucks.
Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page