RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » making pavement

Author Topic: making pavement
woodguy
Member # 2319

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for woodguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any suggestions for making paved roads without too much hassle/mess? I have some gravel roads which I am about to pave, and I am seriously considering making real pavement. Many years ago on a previous layout I made roads by mixing fine sand with roofing tar, applying a thin coat of tar to the roadway for better adhesion, then spreading the mixture over the area. I then flattened the pavement with a putty knife, cleaning the knife regularly with mineral spirits. This gave me beautiful looking (and very accurate) pavement. The downside is the mess and the stink. I don't remember exactly what I did to get the greyish weathered look to the roads, however. If I knew of a better way to create the same results, I would rather avoid stinking up the basement with curing tar fumes.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Woodland Scenics makes a pavement system that I hear is fairly easy to execute.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used fine sand mixed in water, then a dark gray and/or FLAT finish latex paint. apply with a putty knife or trowel, and that gave good results as well, and depending on the paint, not much smell, either.

Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think an outfit called AMI makes a rubber roadbed material that I don't really like for roadbed, but it makes great asphalt roads. It comes in a roll. Just roll it out. It can be made to curve, go straight, or whatever shape you need. It is a little "tacky" feeling when first put down.
Make your center stripes if the road will have them, and spray a thin coat of dull coat to kill the stickiness.

Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MotormanClyde
Member # 2396

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for MotormanClyde   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I model traction in HO scale and use plaster to pave my streets. I usually mix black dry tempra paint into the plaster to provide a uniformly colored paving material. This allows for sanding or carving later without having to repaint anything.
Motorman Clyde

Posts: 1 | From: Newbury, Ohio 44065 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SneakyHusband
Member # 2376

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for SneakyHusband   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this sounds a bit off...I used black poster board for black top. Roughed it up in spots and used a darker black marker to create the effects of road repair tar on the roadway. Seems to work pretty well. I did find that I had to put the poster board in direct sun light to fade it some before I did this!

Good Luck!

------------------
Take Care, God Bless

Darin

www.darin.fws1.com

Posts: 26 | From: Loveland, Colorado, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Mickey
Member # 2465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Mickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Railers, I am a tradesman in the tile field. One thing I have plenty of is grout. It comes in a lot of differant colors and shades. Mask off the roads with tape. Mix your grout into a thick paste. Apply with a putty knife. Pull the tape while the grout is still a lil wet. This may give you some jaged edges, but thats OK. Real roads are jaged too. When the grout dried.it may crack a little. Paint on a lighter or darker shade on the cracks. It looks likr a real road repair. Grout is mixed with water, it cleans up with water as well, and has no smell to it. Grout can also be mixed very thin and used as a paint with a sand texture. The downside is that it comes in 25# bags. Ask your local tile suppy if thay might have a broken bag. They might just give some to you. A cup or two goes a long way. Happy Rails
Posts: 2 | From: FWB Fla | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, good idea. I may try tile grout tommorrow (I have some terra cotta colored grout I used to patch). Would you recommend sanded or unsanded grout?

(Note Home Depot has colored grout, sanded and not, in 5 pound boxes, so you don't have to go the 25 pound route.)

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction ... they are 7 pound boxes and cost $6.25. I was in HD and decided to go with the Butter Cream color rather than the terra cotta as it is more closely the color of real dirt roads (or I can more easily tint it).
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page