RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » More New guy help!!!!!!!

Author Topic: More New guy help!!!!!!!
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took apart my HO scale steam locamotive for cleaning and when I puth it back together it dosent run. I need help fast!!!!

Oh yeah it tried to run but dose not move. but I now it is operational beacusthe light on the front still works.

HELP ME FAST!!!!!!!!

Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a tough one.

With steam there is about two hundred different things it could be. Sounds like you could have some of the componets to tight. I would take it to the nearest hobby shop. They should have a repair person that can help. Or at the very least know some one that does train repair.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kokkos
Member # 2373

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for kokkos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DO YOU KNOW HOW TO TEST THE CONDUCTORS BY A MULTIMETER OR ANY INSTRUMENT IN ORDER TO SEE IF ANY CONACT IS MISING. HAVE YOU CLEAN THE CONTACTS OR WHAT KIND OF LOCO IS IT?
Posts: 8 | From: greece | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think before anyone can help, you need to give us a make and model of the locomotive. Some modern plastic steam engines have the frame in two halves "n" style with an insulator in the middle. Others have the locomotive wired for one polarity and the tender the opposite. If you have a locomotive that picks up power on one side from the locomotive and the other side from the tender, just getting the tender trucks reversed will cause you to not get a complete circuit.
Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is an old Tyco canadian Pacific steam locamotive.
Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How was it constructed, and how far did you tear it down? Does it have two frame halves that wrap around the motor like n scale equipment? If so make sure the insulator between the two halves is in place. If the two halves of a frame like that touch, it creates a short. If it picks up power on one side with the locomotive drivers and on the other side by the tender wheels, make sure the tender trucks didn't swivel around so that the pick up wheels of both the locomotive and the tender are on the same side. Finally, did you disassemble the drivers and valve gear, and possibly get the drivers "out of quarter?"
Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page