RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Model railroad Era

Author Topic: Model railroad Era
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few questions abouth model railroading era.

1. what is the best era to model.

2. when were cabosses taken off the railroads.

3. when were F-units locamotives taken of the railroads.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question 1. Whatever era you like best. There are models out there to model virtually any era since the Civil War.
2. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was sometime in the '80s.
3. Santa Fe sent their f units to be rebuilt into CF7s in the early 70s. NdeM might still be running f units if they ever had any.

Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kokkos
Member # 2373

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for kokkos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only think i can give you an answer is for the ERA which is something up to you. What you like best what period? I think the best period is the V or IV, if you want to represent the train railroad with which you grow.
Posts: 8 | From: greece | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ketel97
Member # 2410

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ketel97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shuan:I like the transition era between steam and deisel. that way you can do either or both. also I like the style of buildings from that era.

roger

Posts: 2 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Hensley
Member # 1374

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Hensley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>1. what is the best era to model.

The era that you like best or that gives the most pleasant memories. In my case, I have stopped trying to keep my railroad ‘up-to-date’ and have begun moving it back in time into the late 70s where I can run some of the cars from roadnames that I like. That way, I can maintain cabin cars and have work for my Locals to do rather than just have run-throughs and can keep the roof walks on many of my rolling stock..

>2. when were cabosses taken off the railroads.

Late 70s and early 80s although some yard and switching assignments kept cabin cars right up to the late 90s with a few still working today. That said, the caboose on main line railroading was replaced by the EOT (End Of Train) device by the 80s.

>3. when were F-units locamotives taken of the railroads.

I’m sure that there are still a few operating, but Class One railroads had retired or rebuilt them (Santa Fe) by the 70s.

Roger

Roger Hensley - madisonrails@railfan.net
== http://cid.railfan.net/eci_new.html ==
== East Central Indiana HO Scale Railroad ==

Posts: 80 | From: Anderson, IN USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shaun,

1. what is the best era to model.
The current iteration of my dream pike has trains on it that would never have seen each other in reality. German TEE from the 1950s together with the City of Salina (M-10000) of UP together with 1960s era UP domeliner.

Have fun with what you choose to model.

2. when were cabosses taken off the railroads.

I commute to work along the old CB&Q mainline running the Missouri River northwest from Kansas City. Cabooses were in use until 1994 or so. BNSF still uses cabooses on local push-pull runs here in KC, as well as on some of the track and roadbed trains that operate around here.

3. when were F-units locamotives taken of the railroads.

FTs were retired in the early 60s. F7s and 9s were retired in the late 60s to mid-70s, although, as noted, Santa Fe (which had a HUGE fleet) did a fleet rebuild of hundreds of units, A and B, from carbody to hood.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foamer13
Member # 2024

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for foamer13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best era? Monday, June 24,1957, at 11:00 a.m. I thought everyone knew that!

------------------

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suburban90
Member # 2450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suburban90   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foamer13 what is special about "Monday, June 24,1957"?
Posts: 32 | From: Colorado, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna take a wild guess here, but I'd say 6-24-57 was someone's birthday......
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foamer13
Member # 2024

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for foamer13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's actually the day I went off to Navy boot camp. Took the B & O to Baltimore with a high school buddy.

------------------

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alk-milw
Member # 2459

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alk-milw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like the steam - diesel transition era. You seem to have a little more leeway when you model structures and rolling stock!

------------------
Andy Kramer- Milwaukee Road model railroader

Posts: 16 | From: camp douglas, Wis. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may also build a railroad like I do, without an era. I typically run 1950's freight trains along with Amtrak Superliners. I don't pay attention to what year it is.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you model the same railroad I do. The Bermuda Triangle & Time Warp.

[This message has been edited by Challenger (edited 05-02-2003).]

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page