RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » how old are you?

Author Topic: how old are you?
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are there any model railroaders who are youn or are they all old guys?
Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodguy
Member # 2319

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for woodguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. I'm curious, myself. I am 35, how about you?
Woodguy

Posts: 22 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Older than dirt!
Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sprite tender young lad of the tender age of 20. (OK maybe not so sprite and tender. and 20s not that tender iether )
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
33. Going to be 34 at the end of June. Still working on yet another model Garrat, this time a 4-8-2+2-8-4. either I really enjoy building the models (and I do), or I'm a glutton for punishment.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alk-milw
Member # 2459

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alk-milw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm right in there with the dirt catagory, 50 at the end of July!!!!!!!!

------------------
Andy Kramer- Milwaukee Road model railroader

Posts: 16 | From: camp douglas, Wis. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suburban90
Member # 2450

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Suburban90   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not as old as "The Big Boy" lol.

Mind of a 40 year old. Body of an 80 year old. Spirit of a 4 year old.

(40+80)/4 = ??

[This message has been edited by Suburban90 (edited 05-16-2003).]

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suburban90
Member # 2450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suburban90   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about you Shaun CN?
Posts: 32 | From: Colorado, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i am probably the youngest model railroader. I am 15 now 16 in October. now don't judge me by my age I still have a pretty good layout now.
Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alk-milw:
I'm right in there with the dirt catagory, 50 at the end of July!!!!!!!!

You'er just top soil.

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alk-milw
Member # 2459

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alk-milw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Chuck, I was waiting for something like that!!!!!

------------------
Andy Kramer- Milwaukee Road model railroader

Posts: 16 | From: camp douglas, Wis. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Killen
Member # 2353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max Killen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a time in my life when I thought 58 had to be real old age, now I don't think so.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old enough that steam was still in use on the Union Pacific.

Young enough to enjoy my sons teen years.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey shaun! you should be ashamed of yourself, asking us oldtimers how old we are (me, 36!). however, you should also be proud of yourself in that you as a young man are continuing this hobby. far too many have started it only to give it up, if they have ever gotten into it at all. keep up the good work, and no offense about the being ashamed!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 43 and am glad you asked this question. I have been wondering about the age of a lot of these people.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seventeen, and loving every part of the hobby!
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'll jump in.

43.5 years of accumulated wisdom in the mind of an 8 year old child who likes to play with trains. (Though I prefer to ride the real ones.)

My "layout" is limited to a single track on a shelf around the upper perimeter of the dining room. Plus one under the tree at Christmas.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
OK, I'll jump in.

GREAT JUMP! and you landed right on track.

Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
Old enough that steam was still in use on the Union Pacific.

John

It still is.

Suburban90
Member # 2450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suburban90   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Walsh:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
[b]OK, I'll jump in.

GREAT JUMP! and you landed right on track.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Right on track or the age group...hope he doesn't land on me! lol

foamer13
Member # 2024

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for foamer13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old enough to have found out that you don't want to hop a freight train too close to the engine or you'll get covered with hot cinders. Actually, God said,"Let there be LIGHT!" and the light came on and there I stood. Then God shouted,"TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!" Actually, 65 next January.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm somewhere in the 28 category...but I keep being told to quite acting like a 3-year-old... so who actually knows

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vb
Member # 2262

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for vb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 44, and started about 6 mths ago. My garage has been converted to my train office. I do not really have enough time to work on my layout, but I have enough money now to buy all the items I need. It takes 20 years of savings to get into a good system!! That, and time. Thats why you get quite a few old farts doing it. You can do it for a lot less, but all the nice and uptodate things are expensive. Well, here's to finishing my layout within a year, oops, nearly forgot, and another year for the scenery!
Posts: 17 | From: CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simeont
Member # 2629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for simeont   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 28,but I know a man in our near my town,who is still going modelrailroading.Age-81.It is not a joke.Rather preserved locomotive and steaming-with a cigarette in his mouth.
Posts: 1 | From: Bulgaria | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom H
Member # 53

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Age??? Worked as a telegrapher for the NYC before the end of steam! Saw the last Niagara (6009) on train # 9 westbound out of Rochester NY - last steam powered passenger, that is. by the way - 68.

Have fun ans Keep On Railroading

Posts: 57 | From: Hudson, Fl USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, work this out, I have 5 Grandchildren all still in school, my eldest Daughter is nearly 40 Hmmmm so what do you think my age might be. Toffee Apple for the winner.

shamus

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey shamus!
you are 29. what, do you think anyone here is dumb enough to tackle your question...no need to tell the truth, just happy you are here!

Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deezel
Member # 2512

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for deezel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too old to play with trains but not old enough for it to be my mid-life crisis hobby. Never-the-less here I am. I often wonder what my wife thinks. She is inclined to remark about every other facet of my life except this one. Kind of refreshing actually.
Posts: 4 | From: Mt. Holly Springs | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emdman1959
Member # 2687

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for emdman1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
43 here shaun be 44 in september. I am an engineer for csx previously conrail. I'm the last in the family to work on the railroad. that is why I was able to answer your lashup question. I have also been into model railroading for about 28 years and have the collection to prove it.lol. do yourself a favor and stay away from the lower end brands of trains most of them have poor electrical pic ups and only 1 truck drive. the only thing you will be looking at here is a headache buying the cheap stuff. stick with athearn, walthers, proto 1000, 2000, etc.
Posts: 11 | From: watertown NY USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nscale_lover
Member # 2220

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for nscale_lover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
35 in 2 weeks
Posts: 7 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page