RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » BNSF

Author Topic: BNSF
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does BNSF have any GE U-Boats and if so what paint scheme are they in?

Thank you for your help!!

Shaun

Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shaun,

All of the U-Boats were retired from ATSF and BN long before the merger. (BN got rid of the last of theirs in 1991) There were some of the Santa Fe rebuilt SF30Cs (Rebuilt from the U30Cs) at merger. But at last report they have iether been put in storage, or deactivated. They wore the "Patch" scheme wich is just the old Yellow and Blue Bonnet Santa Fe paint scheme with the cab numbers painted over and BNSF put over it with the new number posted beneath.

BNSF still rosters several old C30-7 and C36-7s of BN decent, which look similar to the U-Boat series. Most are in patch paint schmes but the few that have been repainted sport Heritage I schemes. The majority of these units are now in the "Surgfleet" and spend most of their time in storage in places like Alliance NE. Kansas City MO, and Barstow CA.

Glad I could be of assitsance.

Fellow BNSF (as well as several others) Modeler

James R. Mitich

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you very much for your heplp. I am glad to hear that some one else models BNSF (my other railroad that I model is Canandian National). Could this be one of your other railroads that you model? Also do you have any suggestions as to what I can do with my U-boat maby I should just paint it in pre-merger paint?

Tahnk you for your help!!

Posts: 49 | From: Sarnia,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shuan.

Unforutunatly CN is not one of the primary roads that I model. However, I do have one CN GP-7 to man the interchange with the Great Northern on one of my layouts. (GN and CN had an obscure interchange in Southern BC) The list of the Railroads I model and the reasons I model them in parentheses are 1950 UP (Extensive Post WWII Traffic and Gray Hound Scheme Passenger Engines), 1967-1970 GN (The "Big Sky Blue" era) 1972 UP (A big transistion year on Uncle Pete's lines.) 1976 BN. (Their Eclectic Collection of Fist and Second Generation Diesle Motive Power and losts of Special Bi-Centenial related trains. Not least of which include The Freedom Train SP-4449) and Finally, Present Day BNSF-UP Powder River Basin Wyoming operations. (I live there) I also have models of Amtrak's "Auto Train" and CSX's "Tropicanna Juice Train" just because of their high cool factor.

My recent interests have become taken with the possibility of Modeling the SP in N Scale. What time frame and locality has yet to materialise yet. But Im looking into it.

Now for your U-Boat. If its a U-30C. You possibly model the retired BN loco now at the Illinois Railroad Museum. They maintain this locomotive in operating condition and use it to run special "Photo Frieghts" and loan it out for excursions. I believe the number is 5605 but you should probably do some research on it to make sure. (Contacting the Museum would be a good place to start) If it is not a U30C I would check out the photo archive places and see if there are any Short lines, or industrial outfits who obtained these locos second hand near your modeling location that are using them and model after that. Then of course if you want to go ahead and model it in Pre-merger paint as you suggest. That would be good to.

Glad I could once again be of assistance.

Your modeling comrad.

James R. Mitich

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun CN
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Shaun CN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are there any BNSF locomotives in the Blue & yellow warbonnet scheme without the large SANTA FE logo on the side but still have bnsf under the numbers.

Thank you for your help.

ShaunCN

cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have not seen any locos like your last ? but there were some F45s w/o the "Santa Fe" & no BNSF markings. Think these were sold to a leaser (MK?) & used by BNSF in late 90s. Haven't seen any lately on BNSF. Anyone seen any elsewhere?
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page