RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY

Author Topic: MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY
up4884dg
Member # 2670

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for up4884dg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DOES ANYONE BESIDES ME THINK THEY REALLY SPENT $3.5 MILLION ON THIS LAYOUT? THE TRACK DIAGRAM ISN'T WORTH THAT MUCH. IS IT?
Posts: 2 | From: lafayette,IN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the layout design, and custom painting busness (Hopeing to add manufacturing to that in about a year) and on ocasion get asked to go ahead and build some of what I design.

Taken into acount that all of the Buildings of the cities of Chicago and Seatle are scratchbuilt (to 60% HO scale), The layout is over 3500 square feet, and that they paid people to build it at rates far handsomer than me, I can believe the 3.5 million was a bargian. However if your thinking about doing the work based off a personal level and want to do one for your self, I extimate the cost of materials to be about 35% of the total 3.5 million dollars.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
take a free trip to www.msichicago.org and click on.
Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen this layout in person, I have only seen it in Model Railroader. I must say that I was not impressed when looking at the pictures and especially the the track diagram.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deezel
Member # 2512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for deezel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although my opinion is based solely on a magazine article, it seems very clear:
The emphasis is definitely on the scratchbuilt metro structures; which by the way are very impressive in their own right. The track layout is very simplistic. The layout is impressive due to its magnitude, but greater complexity in the rail system would have added so much more depth to the display. .....in my humble opinion.

Posts: 4 | From: Mt. Holly Springs | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FEF-3
Member # 2686

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for FEF-3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am only 18 years old, and i can remember the older layout ( NOT THE FIRST) at the museum. In my opinion, at least from an observational point of view, that layout was soooo much better. Not only was the track plan so much more complex and intrecit, but there were so many animations built in the the layout; like working car washers at a coach yard. Maybe I an\m just saying this because I had more years with the older layout, but I miss it. Trains on the older layout were a good 60 to 70 cars, with a few 10-25 car trains mixed in. That gave a more accurate protrail of midwest railroads. There were mostly grain silos and very smalls towns that dotted the layout and nothing but fields and trains. In my mind, that was a truley wonderful layout...
Posts: 9 | From: Rolling Meadows Il. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page