RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » SD70MAC/KATO

Author Topic: SD70MAC/KATO
up4884dg
Member # 2670

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for up4884dg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANYBODY OUT THERE GET THE NEW SD70MAC FROM KATO? NEED TO KNOW HOW THEY RUN AND HOW GOOD THE NEW COUPLERS ARE. THANKS
Posts: 2 | From: lafayette,IN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal experience with Kato has not been good. The SD70MAC has just reaffirmed it. Again, good shell details and Exellent performance. But I swear, they hire monkeys to paint these things. I know a 4 year old girl who likes trains, which geven the proper tuitalage could probably do better.

Wait for the Athearn ones to come out. Their paint jobs will be far superior.

James

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Bellinis
Member # 2377

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Bellinis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in my local hobby shop, and he had a few Kato locomotive on the shelf. I'm amazed at how bad the paint colors are. He had sd45's in the blue and yellow warbonnet
scheme and I think the other models were sd40-2s in blue and yellow warbonnet. The yellow on one model was bright almost gold. The other model was almost a yellow-orange. Neither color was close to Santa Fe.

Posts: 70 | From: Lakewood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bee Line
Member # 2641

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bee Line     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently purchase a Kato SD70 Mac BNSF Heritage II paint scheme road # 8802 with nose head lights, The running is excellent and I have had no problem with coupling to my MT cars. Did not like it that I had to install the number boards, some of the grab rails and the hoses, you would think for that kind of money they could finish the assembly.
Bee-Line

Posts: 1 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deezel
Member # 2512

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for deezel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confirmed on the Athearn Genesis alternative. I recently purchased an NYSW SD70MAC and am very happy with it save installing all those grab irons and rails. For the price they definitely should be coming fully assembled.
Posts: 4 | From: Mt. Holly Springs | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page