RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Riverossi disappointment

Author Topic: Riverossi disappointment
FEF-3
Member # 2686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FEF-3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to ask any other modelers out there what they think about Riverossi. I for one am a bit disappointed with the company.

For years ( all 18 years that I have been alive)I have been saving up for a challenger, in particular, UP #3985. I finally aquired the funds and purchased it at a model railroad show. It was wonderful about the first 100 scale miles; then it started to squeak. I realized this was perfectly normal for any new engine, so I popped it open, and lubed it up. I also ploped in a sound decoder(birthDAY PRESENT). I "fired it up" again and the squeaking persisted, but this time there was a problem with the electrical pickup; VERY anoying with a sound decoder. I clean the wheels with achohol before every run and I cannot add any wipers anywhere on the 17 axles. Now it is permenetly bad-ordered and awaiting repair.

Also I recieved 8 southern pacific heavyweight coaches to show off behind an SP E8/9 and the disappointment didn't stop there. The cars are nearly impossible to get into to add people or spruce up the interior, and the wheelsets squeak very much. After about 2 gallons of oil, I finally tried to replace the axles, only to find that Riverossi(at least in this case) uses unique truck sideframes and I don't have, or know where to look for, any suitable replacements.

Is there anybody out there that wants to voice there opinion? Maybe I was soured due to such a long wait for the challenger... I might be being too critical. Anyone?

Posts: 9 | From: Rolling Meadows Il. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burnt by Riv Steam, a few times pre Walthers days bot thru model expo
Had two Challengers, Two 4-8-4 Northerns and One 2-8-8-2.
These models had insufficient electrical pick-ups. Check out http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/locoflaws.htm and scroll down to Rivarossi.

I now only own the Almi
ghty-MostPowerful, 7,500 HP Alleghney with 13 electrical pick-ups plus the darn rubber traction tires.

I got 25% off this baby and after 8 months no problem. Comes with a full year warranty.

On a separate note I just bot my first Bachmann loco, the new 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain for $130.00 which will arrive tomorrow, Monday. The reviews are good.

Back to Riv. I too owned those darn HW coaches with the horn-hooks and under size 34"
wheels. These can be salvaged with the right couplers/wheels.
Go tohttp://discussion.atlasrr.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25813That's an underscore_line between_TOPIC_ID in the URL

Walthers gives a full one year warranty on any Riv Loco regardless of where purchased and will exchange it thru your dealer providing
Walthers has the same model on hand, Per "J.Philip Walthers, President".

These older models are problematic and the same problem could occur.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 08-03-2003).] http://discussion.atlasrr.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID+25813

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 08-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 08-03-2003).]

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emdman1959
Member # 2687

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for emdman1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I owned a riverossi challenger for about 3 days before I brought it back to the hobby shop and got my money back. it ran great for the first few hours then it started running like crap could not keep the wheels clean and the electrical picup was poor for an engine with so many axles plus it would not pull very many cars. I was toatlly disapointed with it. I have over 275 engines in my collection and that is the only one I have ever returned.
Posts: 11 | From: watertown NY USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Walsh
Member # 677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Walsh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE I have over 275 engines in my collection and that is the only one I have ever returned.[/B][/QUOTE]

That's a portfolio!

[This message has been edited by Chuck Walsh (edited 08-08-2003).]

Posts: 213 | From: Grand Rapids Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page