RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Model Railroading » Empty Versus Full Hopper Cars

Author Topic: Empty Versus Full Hopper Cars
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot has been written lately about using empty versus full hopper cars (or any other type of car that you can see whether it is empty or full). The "Load in-emptys out" concept seems to be popular in model railroads today. Many modeler railroaders do not like to pretend to have loaded cars when they appear empty, or vice-versa.

I was wondering how some of you felt about this. My own opinion is this: All of my hopper cars appear empty. The waybill is what defines a full or empty car. So according to the schedule and waybills, I may have a train of "full" hopper cars on its way with loads of ore, but physically the cars appear empty.

Thank you

------------------
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my layout I am planning to have the loading and unloading of my cars animated. Since I model Wyoming's Powder River Basin. The sheer number of coal trains and the empty or full cars, and the way the trains are loaded there, almsot demands this type of thing to be modeled. This project is about 5 years off by the way. But If I remember I will post how I did it and show photos as well.

If I run a take a coal train to Run on my clubs Modular layout I almost always model them loaded, the extrea weight adds extra tracking reliability.

Thanks

James

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page