RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Light Rail and Transit » CTA-Metra Chicago area issues.

Author Topic: CTA-Metra Chicago area issues.
Santa Fe buff
Member # 8125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Santa Fe buff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently the expansion to the Bourbonnais/Kankakee, IL area with Metra was cancelled until further notice. The recent CTA improvement, including rebuilding the blue line- that suffered an derailment some time back- by using federal funding supposed to be stretched for the next 5 years! Plus Metra plans to do this entire Metra Electric line with new engines, shuttles, and other stations that are being developed, the cost of the Metra expansion is too much to be risked with the Chicago funding. Yet, CN has dumped out ties all down the CN mainline next to it. Perhaps the line is beginning to come together, for they built a section of track next to one of the main line's area, but no workers out building more, I think it's a two step plot. Slowly go step by step into the goal. I was hoping for non-electric lines for the F40s series engines, but I guess electric is more 'green'. But the lines for the electricity haven't been put up, and any supplies needed to do so aren't at the site. I think that they are doing the line first, then the electrification. Any info on the expansion, or the so called 'new engines' I'll look it up, but it is definally happening!

--------------------
Modeling the ATSF-BNSF crossover times of the 1990s. HO scale.

Posts: 23 | From: IL in the USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe buff
Member # 8125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe buff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got more information, the ties were used for fixing the terrible mainline that CN had. They had hyrails all over the streets and rails. The project is at a stand-still until further notice.

--------------------
Modeling the ATSF-BNSF crossover times of the 1990s. HO scale.

Posts: 23 | From: IL in the USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page