RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Light Rail and Transit » 12 Trains in an Hour

Author Topic: 12 Trains in an Hour
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the Eurailpass bit last month, visiting Switzerland, France & Spain. When I was in Paris on the 14th, I tried to see if I could break my record of riding 10 trains in an hour that I'd managed to do the last time I was there 8 years ago. I've since tied that mark in NYC and London. I thought I could break it when I was in Tokyo 2 years ago, 'cos I'd figured out how to ride all 12 subway lines there without ever going more than 1 stop but it took me 1:30. I'd planned how to ride the most trains in an hour in Paris & Madrid before I left home but when I got to Paris I found out that one of the connections wasn't possible because Line 3 wasn't stopping @ Republique due to construction. So I had to redo the itinerary. These were all Metro trains, except for the last one, which was a commuter. It went like this:

5 Jacques Bonsergent 10:59AM-Republique 11:00
11 Republique 11:02-Arts & Metiers 11:03
3 Arts & Metiers 11:07-Reaumur Sebastopol 11:09
4 Reaumur Sebastopol 11:11-Strasbourg St. Denis 11:12
9 Strasbourg St. Denis 11:14-Richelieu Douorot 11:18
8 Richelieu Douorot 11:20-Opera 11:21
7 Opera 11:25-Pyramides 11:26
14 Pyramides 11:30-Madeline 11:32
12 Madeline 11:34-Concorde 11:36
1 Concorde 11:40-Champs Elysees Clemenceau 11:42
13 Champs Elysees Clemenceau 11:46-Invalides 11:47
RER-C Invalides 11:57-Musee d'Orsay 11:59

I did it! 12 trains in an hour. When I got to Madrid, I didn't even bother trying to match that total, it would have been impossible. Altogether, I went on 278 trains in 16 days; including subways, trolleys, commuters, interurbans, regionals, rack railways, furniculars, intercity, high speed and one overnight train. Not once was I hassled for taking pictures. I'll try to get a trip report together to post.

Has anyone tried to do anything like this or heard of anyone who did? Or am I the only one koo-koo enough?

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page