RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Layout Design and Track Structures » Mountainside, backdrop, & other landscape features--Idea

Author Topic: Mountainside, backdrop, & other landscape features--Idea
Lloyd OBrien
Member # 2134

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Lloyd OBrien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was messing around building a mountainside this afternoon and tried something that worked really well. Thought I'd share the idea. ---Take aluminum foil; form your cliff, mountainside, etc, with it. You can crinkle it, put "pushout" places in it like boulders, "push in" places like ledges, and just form it however you want. Then spray paint it grey or brown; then puff on a little black here and there as well as a bit of light green (looks like moss on rocks), and other colors as you might like. The new piece of landscape can then be stapled into place quite easily at most any angle. It particularly works well in those crazy wierd shaped areas between tunnels or the like. ++++++Watch out though, your Wife gets really wacked out of shape when you use up all of her aluminium foil!!!
Posts: 23 | From: Capon Bridge, WV, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you add one more step. lay it flat and pour in some plaster. You will have an instant rock mold technique that has been around since the concept of using "dirt for dirt"
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the idea, I might have to try that, being that I'm not married....I should be safe. I have recently discovered a store in my area that sells sheets of 'plaster-paper' for use in landscape modeling. Micheal's craft and hobby (something like that)

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page