RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Layout Design and Track Structures » Realistic Railroad Bridge Modeling

Author Topic: Realistic Railroad Bridge Modeling
BridgeGuy
Member # 2246

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for BridgeGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! I am a practicing structural engineer who specializes in railroad bridge design. I'm also a former model railroader, though I'm not currently active in the hobby. Over the years, I've seen a great many model railroad layouts with "scratch-built" bridges that would never support an actual train if they were "scaled up," so to speak. Usually the length to depth ratios are way too large for the equipment in use. Knowing that model railroaders are seeking realism on a small scale, I've wondered if there would be a market within the model railroading community for authentic, model bridge plans produced by someone of my expertise? Would appreciate your feedback on this issue.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I dont know about alot of other people. but I am. I am trying to enter the model manufacturing market. Maybe we can work something out as to maybe supplying the plans to modelers and or developing kits from them.

If your interested in this proposal give me an email at mrljames@hrp.every1.net

Thanks.

James.

Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
guys...I know I could generate some business for you, (even if it is only me), especially where bridge designs are concerned. My father has an old book with some detailed illustrations of the bridges used by the MKT railroad, but they were poorly copied, and could use some "touching-up". Would you be interested in examining them? Let me know at corylp@hotmail.com

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What info do you need to "blue print" a bridge.Ya I know,what type of bridge will help.

MM

Posts: 38 | From: Medicine Hat Alberta Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary krieg
Member # 2958

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary krieg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as the bridges --- model railroaders are only given what the supplier of model bridges makes --- cheap --- quick assembly---low cost --- no details on weights/length.
i build scratch -- most everything , and love details. been all over the web on bridges , not much on prints, or they want to sell prints for tooooooooo much money.
i would think that if you offer prints to us -- keep the price low --- you will do pretty good business. thanks for your input

Posts: 6 | From: houston texas usa | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary krieg
Member # 2958

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary krieg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as the bridges --- model railroaders are only given what the supplier of model bridges makes --- cheap --- quick assembly---low cost --- no details on weights/length.
i build scratch -- most everything , and love details. been all over the web on bridges , not much on prints, or they want to sell prints for tooooooooo much money.
i would think that if you offer prints to us -- keep the price low --- you will do pretty good business. thanks for your input

Posts: 6 | From: houston texas usa | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Tanner
Member # 3007

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ken Tanner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for another would purchase plans or even a kit if the price was right. My interest at this time would be small wood bridges that would be used on branch lines in the 40's and in the north east.
Posts: 1 | From: Crouse, NC, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plans for the Canyon Diablo bridge (Northern Arizona) would be great, as well as the lesser know smaller Padre Canyon span close to Canyon Diablo.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page