RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Layout Design and Track Structures » trees

Author Topic: trees
Tuud
Member # 2943

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tuud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
My problem is that we live in a very wooded area and the place that i plan to build the railroad has too many trees and I am afraid that the trees will make the railroad look unrealistic. what should I do?

Posts: 27 | From: Lewisburg, PA, US | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the number of beginner type posts you've started, it appears you need to do some READING. There tons of books & magazines avalaible, either at hobby shops or libraries. Also there are any number of
R web sites the deal w/ your questions. Maybe you could even visit a MR club in your area.

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuud
Member # 2943

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Tuud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do get Model Railroader magazine from my library exept that the scales are to small and it doesn't do me any good. I am to inthusiastic about model railroading (if there is such a thing) and my mom says: "this is a very expencive hobby tuud" and my other problem is that i can't find a loco. in O scale or O gauge track.
Posts: 27 | From: Lewisburg, PA, US | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Depending on the type of railroad you wish to build will reflect the tree size and the number needed to be realistic. As I model the logging side in 0n30, my trees are over 2feet tall and there are 100's of them. Heres a photo to show you what I mean.
Cheers
Shamus

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 12-18-2003).]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Challenger
Member # 1298

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Challenger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shamus, I swear you have to be the Allen McClelland of logging layouts. Every one of the pictures you have shared with us have been phenominal. Keep up the good work.
Posts: 315 | From: Lander,WY USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at that pic,inhale and you can smell the pine!!!! You are a true artist.

MM

Posts: 38 | From: Medicine Hat Alberta Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Medicine Man
Member # 2939

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Medicine Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tree's? Area where you live? So this will be an out door layout? That is a hole differant kettle of fish.

MM

Posts: 38 | From: Medicine Hat Alberta Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi my friends,
Not outdoors, (Too damn cold for that) Indoors in a spare bedroom 14'X11'

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 12-18-2003).]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuud
Member # 2943

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tuud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Yes, this railroad is going to be outdoors, mainly because I don't have the space indoors.

Tuud

JDE
Member # 2817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shamus, I clicked the little racoon to see more of your great layout and it didn't work. Is that something you can fix or ..?
Posts: 12 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shamus
Member # 657

Rate Member
Hi JDE,
Now working, don't for the life of me know as to why it didn't before.

Shamus

Tuud
Member # 2943

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Tuud   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
You know, I am feeling kind of sorry for posting this message (exept that i got a flameing folder! )because of your layout Shamus i have realized that the trees are not going to be a problem.

therailkid420
Member # 2968

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for therailkid420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is WOW. It is people like you that inspire other's like me.

[This message has been edited by therailkid420 (edited 12-30-2003).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page