RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Tourist Railways » Grand Canyon Railway stupidity

Author Topic: Grand Canyon Railway stupidity
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May 6, 2003

Grand Canyon Railroad trip to the Grand Canyon

While waiting for the train to depart the Williams station, I decided to take some pictures of the train and the various other steam trains at and near the station. I spied a steam train across the street so I walked toward it. (Grand Canyon #20)
The train was about 50 feet off of the road, in plain sight, with no fence anywhere near it. (pictures available upon request) As I approached the train, there was a mid-aged woman taking a picture of the train. A white pickup truck, with Grand Canyon Railways on the side of it drove up and started talking to the woman. I walked over to the truck to (possibly) get some tips on other photo opportunities.

WRONG!

The employee (longish brown hair & scruffy long mustache) was scolding the woman for going past the “Notice, is private property, passers are warned to keep off, D Canyon Railway In” {sic}. As I approached the truck, he stated that we were not supposed to be past the sidewalk. If he had stopped at that point, I would not be posting this, but he continued to illuminate us with his “intelligence”. He stated that we were in violation of federal law and he was under the same FRA security rules that applied to the airports. He further stated that we would be in lots of trouble if we snuck past security at the airport to photograph a plane. (attempting to equate our attempt at photographing that steam train with violating security at an airport) At that point in time, I pulled out my pocket knife, intending to ask if he wanted to confiscate it. Before I could say anything, he stated that he wasn’t trying to be a smart-ass, but he didn’t know if we were terrorists and might attempt to blow up the train. He didn’t know if the woman or I were carrying a bomb and might try to use it. When my mouth dropped, he stated if we attempted to do the same thing at an airport, the FBI would be interrogating us, and we’d be in big trouble, wouldn’t we?
I stated “ No, we would have a discussion and that would be the end of it.”

He then stated that he was doing his job. I said” OK” and walked to the sidewalk. The woman continued to apologize to him for the next 2-3 minutes, all the while trying to tell him she only wanted a picture. She didn’t want to blow up the steam engine.

This is, far and away, the stupidest thing anyone has told me this year. The incredible ignorance of this GCRR employee was stunning. The fact that he equated our attempt at picture taking of a steam engine with the possibility of blowing up a plane is mind-numbingly stupid. The fact that we fit NO known profile of anyone remotely resembling a terrorist made his rant even more ludicrous. The fact that a terrorist would never even consider blowing up that steam engine adds to his moronic behavior. Next time, I’ll demand that he call the FBI.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They overreacted, but I would leave it at that. I don't know that you gain much by trying to reason with that GCRR employee (though I understand why you would try).
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time, take off your turban when railfanning, and don't ask for instructions on how to fly but not land the steam train.
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finally getting around to responding.

My only response to the GCRR incident has been and will be in this forum, unless the GCRR contacts me. (hasn't happened, yet)

I realized that arguing with that employee would be a hopeless endeaver. That's why I walked to the sidewalk.

Also, being a beige 53 year old male, my turban and the operational questions should have been ignored by that employee.... :-)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, you wrote:
A white pickup truck, with Grand Canyon Railways on the side of it drove up and started talking to the woman.
That's what I'd like to see, a talking pickup truck.

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I wrote "A white pickup truck, with Grand Canyon Railways on the side of it drove up and started talking to the woman. I walked over to the truck to (possibly) get some tips on other photo opportunities."

I didn't get any tips from the truck... It just rumbled..........

Although, as I was typing the original post, I thought "the driver of the truck" started talking to the woman. My fingers didn't type what I was thinking........errrrr... my 53 year old fingers didn't type what I was thinking.

It's not my fault.....

sargol
Member # 2708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sargol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another "Badge Happy" government employee.
Posts: 1 | From: Kingsburg,Ca,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Grand Canyon Railways is a privately run business. Chances are the man in the truck was not a government employee.
More likely just a poorly trained security guard.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CK, I was thinking he was a go-fer for the mechanics. I don't think he approached the intelligence level of "security guard"......

Who knows?

KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote RED FORMAN, that guy was a DUMBASS!!!!!
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page