RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Trip Reports » My rides on Eurostar, etc.

Author Topic: My rides on Eurostar, etc.
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

I just got back home from a quick trip to the U.K. and to Brussels. A quick rundown on the trains:

1> I had business in Ravensthorpe (between London & Birmingham). Rode British Rail from London Euston to Rugby. Although I had heard a lot of bad things about the U.K. rail system, our trip was really quite good. The trains ran pretty much on time, the ride was fast and smooth.

2> Took the Eurostar from London Waterloo to Brussels Midi. Wow! what a ride! On the way over, we did have to stop several times in the English countryside and I think that we missed our time slot for the Channel Tunnel. We arrived in Brussels 30 minutes late. The return trip was right on time.

3> Took Belgian Rail from Brussels to Bruges. It was simply amazing how on time the trains were. And smooth and fast.

After riding the rails in the U.S. that are shared with the freight lines, I was amazed at the quality of service in Europe. The trains were clean and efficient with cheerful staff.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you enjoyed your trip, Mark. The railways in the UK get a lot of flak, but it's human nature that you only remember the bad experiences, not the everyday non-descript ones when the train is on time. As I have pointed out before, my little suburban village gets more trains in a day than Houston gets in a month!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page