RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Trip Reports » San Joaquin 701/704, March 26

Author Topic: San Joaquin 701/704, March 26
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got to make my inaugural run to
Sacramento on the direct route from Bakersfield.
Starting with an on time departure from bakersfield things
deteriorated rapidly. We departed Wasco on time but held just north
of the station due to a broken rail being repaired south of Corcoran.
Departure from Corcoran was 45 minutes late, which held for the rest
of the trip. Went through many slow orders especially after leaving
the valley sub heading to Sacramento. our arrival to Sacramento was
almost one hour late. Disappointing as I was only scheduled to have
about 4 hours in SAC before heading back to Bakersfield.
I did get to have lunch at Annabelles in Old Sacramento ($3.99 for
all the pasta, pizza & salad you could eat).
I also got a couple of hours at the Cal. State Rail Museum, just a
couple of blocks from the station.
The return trip was delayed several times due to the northbound San
Joaquins (3) that we passed on our return trip. 20 minutes late at
Modesto, 50 minutes late at Merced, 45 late rest of station stops,
but due to padding into Bakersfield only 25 minutes late there.
Many new stations on the route of the San Joaquin & lots of track
work along the entire route.
Service on board was great with the crew keeping passengers informed
of the delays & apologies extended.
Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice to hear that the passengers were kept informed and the service was good. It is much nicer to know what it happening, than to be stuck on the train not knowing what is going on.

I enjoyed your story. It is difficult to understand your perspective. At first, I thought you were writing as an Amtrak engineer or conductor, but near the end it sounded like you were a passenger.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstantin,
I am a travel agent specializing in rail travel in North America. I have traveled almost 200,000 miles on Amtrak & VIA Rail. I have also operated group rail tours, the last one included a $40,000 Amtrak ticket with 40 passengers.
Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reggierail,reading in the press today, inMelbourneAustralia)where I am, agents in theUS being bypassed for flight tickets by internet users. Are you concerned about your business in view of these developments?
Also is it easier for you to get accomodations on Amtrak if you are prepared to be totally candid, can Joe Public booking tickets through the internet manage just as good a deal? I travel in US by Amtrak from time to time & was just wondering, thanks Mike.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really care what kind of a deal a person can book on the internet. The only time I book air travel is for friends & there is a ticketing fee for my doing that. The services of a travel professional can be invaluable, especially if there is a problem & you've just missed a connection. The Agency I work for is a Uniglobe affiliate & we have a 24 hour help line. We also provide a courtesy travel insurance policy for all our customers.
Try getting a refund or exchanging your tickets at XYZ.com, have fun!!
As far as getting a better deal, I can often secure space by checking my CRS at times when I know unticketed space will be released. I can also do 8 day checks to compare prices on alternate days of travel.
I am good at what I do & believe the average person would be wise to use a travel agent whenever travel is planned.
Reggie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page