RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Trip Reports » Brief Trip Report

Author Topic: Brief Trip Report
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just back from a short trip from Pittsburgh over to Chicago and back within three days.

Out-bound I booked a Standard-Bedroom on the Three Rivers. Have A GREAT attendant (Maria). The train arrived into Union Station an HOUR EARLY---what a surprise. I de-trained at 7:30 AM (CST)

The other day, from Guest Rewards I presume , I got a "TICKET" that was good for either a one class up-grade (within COACH , NOT Sleeper) OR a free "pass" to a Metro-Lounge--which , of course are "off-limits" typically for coach passengers.

Well, evidently the ticket was for use along the NEC , where there are different "levels" of "coach" service---thus the possibility of an "up-grade" in COACH.

ANYHOW, I took the "ticket" with me to Chicago. I was the FIRST individual into the Metro-Lounge there (as my train arrived so early.) I presented my "ticket" to use as a pass into the lounge , since I was returning to Pittsburgh the NEXT day by COACH.

Well, upon examining the "promo" , the Lounge attendant informed me that it was not INTENDED for use in Chicago----ONLY along the NEC. BUT, the GOOD news was that she quickly informed me that she would ACCEPT it and let me gain entrance. So I though that was very nice of her.

I guess I did not read the "fine print" on the opposite side of the "card." It must have said something about the NEC , although I did not remember reading anything of that nature. But since they usually only have different service levels for COACH travelers along the NEC, I probably should have presumed it was meant for use along there. But, like I said the attendant accepted it anyhow.

I took advantage of the RailSale and got my ticket back to Pittsburgh for only $10.80 which I thought was a real bargain.

I was talking to a couple on the way back who must have paid full price for a ticket between Toledo and Pittsburgh. They have a computer, but evidently were not aware that tickets could be purchased over the internet. I guess the agents are not required to tell customers if there are "sale" prices for coach tickets if purchased on the internet. I do not know how much they paid for their tickets, but they were certainly impressed that I got mine for just under 11 dollars.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page