RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Trip Reports » Fantasy trip

Author Topic: Fantasy trip
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok...it is a fantasy but here goes...

I want to go to Europe one day.

But I don't fly.

Assuming I get to NY by train, how would I get over the water?

Suggestions and how much?

Becki

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Becki,
I heard about a giant funnel that you climb into, and it shoots you under the ocean. $Medium
The easiest way would to get a room on a cargo ship, and travel with them. I think it takes about a week. It worked for Michael Palin! $Free (if you get a nice crew)

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 08-23-2001).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric:

funny!

But I just don't fly! And I want to go to Europe. I would take train from TX to Ny ..but then I don't know about ships or European rails.

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cunard's Queen Elizabeth 2 is the only cruise ship that makes regularly scheduled transatlantic crossings. It travels between NY and Southampton. It doesn't do this year-round, however, so you'll need to check w/ a travel agent. Other options are cruise ships on repositioning cruises (again, check w/ a travel agent - you get what's available) or even traveling aboard a freighter. (This is not as silly as it may sound; there are many ships that have a few cabins for just this reason. There are books and I'm sure websites devoted to this type of travel. It's not at all "roughing it" and the prices, I'm told, are not cheap - comparable to the previous two options - and certainly not "free" as suggested in an earlier post. Again, you go when and where they go and on their schedule.)
Once you get to Europe, there are plenty of travel options by rail; rail travel (and other forms of public transportation) is widely available throughout Europe.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply!

I soooo want to see Europe. Becki

Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different strokes...

Personally, I'd rather fly than travel over water!

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this is a "fantasy" trip...

Just wait until a tunnel is bored under the Bering Strait in Alaska (and rails through Canada, too) and take the train from Texas to Paris!

Seriously, I've wondered (fantasized) before if any sort of (ship or ferryboat) transportation options are provided between Canada and Greenland, then over to Iceland and finally Britain. I've never heard of such a thing, though.

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Becki,
Would you consider the shortest realistic air route to Europe? There might be flights out of Nova Scotia to Great Britain...only a few hours. From Britain you could take the Chunnel route to the Continent.
Nova Scotia to Ireland would be even shorter, but you face a channel crossing between Ireland and Britain.
Meanwhile...Eric...you should have given credit to Donald Fagen for the song lyrics (90 minutes from New York to Paris...)

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually met a guy (a college professor) who travels to Europe every summer and never flies - nearly always travels QE2, although he complained that their transatlantic season is getting shorter every year, so he had to return on a repositioning cruise. That's how I found out about that option.
The point is, it is a realistic option, even if pricey. I met the guy while traveling Amtrak; he travels exclusively by train within North America.
So save your pennies for the trip; check out the books "The Only Way To Cross" and "Cruising and Crossing" (both by John Maxtone-Graham) from your local library, and dream of the day that you have the time (a bigger issue for most of us than the money) to make the trip!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MPALMER,
You are very right. That album is one of my favorites, and I apologize for using the lyric without giving proper credit. Sorry Mr. Fagen, and thanks for the great music.
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stated this was a fantasy. i should have been more clear. This is a fantasy that I am serious about.

Jim thanks for all the ideas.

I don't fly at all...even short trips.

I have had to many clients with plane crash listed on their death certs.

But Thanks anyway.

Becki

Kent Loudon
Member # 902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Loudon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yummykaz:
I don't fly at all...even short trips.
I have had to many clients with plane crash listed on their death certs.
But Thanks anyway.
Becki

SO, how many were killed in car crashes? Statistically, the odds of this are far greater, why aren't you afraid to ride? I know, if you drive yourself, YOU are in control. But on an Interstate at 70mph, are you really? I understand your apprehension, I don't board a plane without the thought of disaster crossing my mind, but you are aware that your fear is irrational, aren't you ?

Posts: 75 | From: Somerville, NJ USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's an irrational fear at all. Atleast in a car, you have a chance of surviving. The plane goes down, that's the end! I will fly, but I really don't like doing it, and I understand kaz's reasons for not wanting to.
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statistically speaking, you're safer on a plane than in your own home. I fly maybe 50,000 miles a year or more. People often ask me, "Aren't you afraid to fly". I always point out that the riskiest part of any flight is the car trip to the airport.

For the record, Amtrak's safety record (in terms of the frequency of injuries and deaths) is substantially worse than that of the airline industry. I don't know about cruise ships.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think kaz's fear is irrational at all. I greatly dislike flying, but will do it if there's no other choice. Statistically there are more deaths due to cars, however you have a good chance of surviving a car breaking down, or an accident. If the plane has engine problems at 30K feet up, you're probably not gonna walk away from that one!
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
I don't think kaz's fear is irrational at all. I greatly dislike flying, but will do it if there's no other choice. Statistically there are more deaths due to cars, however you have a good chance of surviving a car breaking down, or an accident. If the plane has engine problems at 30K feet up, you're probably not gonna walk away from that one!
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I DO have a fear of flying. You may call it irrational. But I feel it is MY fear and I hope other's understand it. I try to NOT have it affect others. This means: we still go on cross country trips by rail. We just don't fly.

Asside from crashes, rude service(which I know is on Amtrak also!), rushing around terminals, security checkpoints (scarry to kids)..I just hate the felling of being in the middle of the sky in a tube.

I like feeling the wheels, seeing the ground.
If it is my time..than so be it.

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you consider something like prescription-strength Dramamine or something similar? Would only be wise if you were with someone else who would "stay alert" for travel changes along the way.

As for the other commentary -- I enjoy flying; you get a bird's eye view of trains! Commercial aviation is generally safe; the danger is with general aviation (small private planes).
As for crashes, I'm not worried about death. It is lifetime total disability that concerns me...ending up alive but permanently paralyzed and brain damaged sounds a lot worse.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I have usually enjoyed flying, (I was a plane nut before I was a train nut) I am not without sympathy for Yummykaz. While I have no fear of crashing, one thing I don't enjoy about flying is turbulence. The side to side motion of a train is easier to deal with than the sudden three dimensional movement of a plane. Most of my flights have been pleasant, but I was on a rough one once that was very unnerving. We were in no real danger, the plane was doing what it was designed to do: flex with the wind. But the sudden jolts in all directions was very unpleasant. I don't blame some people for wanting to avoid that. It just ain't fun! Traveling should be fun.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a fan of flying, and I think rail and sea are safer with out a doubt, but I will see Australia and Japan and Singapore and Bangkok (when I take the Eastern & Oriental Express)....poor yummykaz will never seen any of this....except in books, magazines and on TV.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page