RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Trip Reports » Train Trip to San Diego

Author Topic: Train Trip to San Diego
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone!
My boyfriend and I took the train to San Diego and back. We started from Chatsworth, CA. We departed on time and arrived about 5 minutes late, so it was pretty much on time. It was about a 4 hour ride each way. On the way out, we got one of the older trains and we went coach on the way there. It was a single level car. It was fairly roomy. It was our first time on a train and it swayed a little more than I had imagined it would. But overall, it was pretty comfortable. I was impressed!
On our way back, it was great. We got the new "Pacific Surfliner" and we went "Business Class" on the way back. I was more impressed with the Surfliner. That was a lot of fun and better than the older train. Business class, is so much roomier. Plus, you have foot-rests. Even coach has foot-rests on the Surfliner. The fold down tables are different than on the older train and situated better. The seats have armrests in the middle that you can have up or down, the older train didn't have that. They have audio and video on the back of every business class seat. But there was only one audio station, sounded like a prerecorded deal that played a variety. There was also only one video station that played cartoons. Obviously, something to keep kids occupied. The Surfliner has two levels. Very nice and seemed a bit smoother than the older train. Lower level was much more quiet, being that there are only a few seats down there. But, the view isn't any good, since it is a lot closer to the ground. The lower level has a larger bathroom (lower level is set up to service the handicapped). For business class they handed out snacks and a beverage. The service was excellent. Also had a payphone on the lower level, but it only takes credit cards. It won't let you use a prepaid calling card.
San Diego was fun and interesting. They have a very nice train station. Not very big, but nice. They have a waterfall out in front of it. Our motel was just a couple of blocks from the station. A great location within walking distance. We took the "Trolley" everywhere we needed to go in San Diego. It was easy to use and very convienent. We didn't know the area around San Diego and it was super easy to get anywhere you wanted to go with the trolley. We went to see the "Padres" and "Angels" baseball game at the Qualcomm Stadium, the trolley takes you right to the stadium. Well, that's all I can think of right now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

[This message has been edited by Sheri (edited 07-21-2000).]

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richman20
Member # 89

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Richman20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just glad you enjoyed San Diego! It is a great town and as more people learn about the Trolley, the more they like it. We live here and use the Trolley anytime we can avoid using the car. Downtown, the Stadium, and the Border. Great way to go!

Richman

Posts: 2 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you enjoy rail travel, why not take a little longer trip, maybe the Coast Starlight to Sacramento? The station is just a couple of blocks from the Cal. St. Railway Museum & Old Town Sacramento. Another idea would be to go on to Reno the next day on the Zephyr, the scenery through the Sierra Nevadas is just great. Yours Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reggierail,
Thank you for the advice. I don't know if you read my other post, but I recently (about 4 weeks ago) took the SW Chief & Lake Shore Limited roundtrip CA - PA. I had a wonderful time. I would like to do more train travel in the future. I enjoy the scenery. I see your posts on here all time, you seem to have a lot of experience being a rail traveler. I would like to take some nice scenic routes in the future, I'll be sure to ask you before I make any definite plans. Take care.

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheri
Member # 25

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richman20,
Yes, we enjoyed ourselves very much. We plan on taking the train to SD again in the near future. I can't say enough about the trolley system. It was just great, an easy way to get around. Next time we come out, I want to take my boyfriend to "Dick's Last Resort", are you familiar with this restaurant? If so, would you happen to know which trolley we would take from the train station and how close we would get dropped off to the restaurant? Any help would be appreciated. I went to this restaurant for the first time when I was visiting in Ohio recently, my family took me there and I thought it was a silly, fun, unique experience. Looked it up on the internet and found out you have one in SD. Take care.

P.S. Sorry everyone that it took me so long to reply, I haven't checked here in a little while.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page