RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Trip Reports » Virginia autumn train

Author Topic: Virginia autumn train
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Saturday November 1st I got up at 4:30 am to go catch the train. The train was leaving at 7 but I wanted to be first in line to get the car I wanted. So around 5 we left the hotel in Salisbury. We quickly drove to the North Carolina Transportation Museum. It was dark but you could see the engines of my train. I was taking the trip with my grandmother. I stood in line and froze because I could not find my gloves. I was board so I checked my pockets and there they were and they were cold to. My mom, sister, and grandmother were in my sisters BMW on the heated seats. I started a conversation with the fellow passengers in line. Then my sister came to bring me the tickets and we stood there in the cold for an hour. Then the crew came to exchange tickets for boarding passes. Once we were assigned car 21 the last car. I took off for it. I sprinted along side the train. I passed the entrance to my car because we were loading in the vista domes vestibule.
I then went back to it and waited for the head end power to come back on so I could board. Then I walked thru the J.P. Henderson, Hollywood Beach, and my car the Golden Tower. I had rode in the Golden Tower last year so I went to the rear so I could get the seats by the rear window seeing it was the last car on the train. The seats I wanted were taken by the car hosts so I took a table for two. I then signed in and got my breakfast ticket. Then my grandmother joined me. We sat at our table examining our documents for the trip. Then more people came into the car and we started a conversation. At 7 the train started it's trek to Charlottesville. I crouched at the door for the little bit departing. It was to dark to see so I went back to my table. We talked about model railroading as the crew threw the switch. Then we talked about CSX. Mainly complaining about their policies. We then passed Linwood Yard. I was calling every crossover on the main. The train then went to a single track.
The then shortly after that we went back to double to go thru Thomnesvile. I saw the big chair monument. We then went by slowly where a fire had just been put out. The fire had took out most of the building. Then we came to a stop in Greansbourgh. Our car only had three seats left and a group of four boarded. The lady was seated at the table across from us. Two seated at the table behind us and one stood. She was mad. She was throwing a temper tantrum in public. We all stopped talking. The crew remedied the situation fast. They upgraded to the Vista Dome. Then after they had cleared the hall I started to walk the train. I took photos of every car. I went thru Golden Tower, Hollywood Beach, J.P. Henderson, Observatory(vista dome),Moltrie, Birken, Southern Hospitality, Super Dome, Wisconsin Rapids and then 2 coaches. I went to the gift shop. I needed more money to get what I wanted, So I walked back. Then once I had enough money to buy the shirt, I went back and bought it.
Then I sat and enjoyed the company in my car. My grandmother did not get what we were talking about or what we did and why. We watched the scenery disappear behind the train. We went thru Danville, Altavista, and a few other little towns before Lynchburg. That town was huge. We passed thru a shopping center, and then went thru Rivermont tunnel. Then we crossed another river. The train continued to wind north to Charlottesville. The railfans were out in full force today. We entered town amongst Virginia football fans tailgating by the track. Then we crossed the Buckingham Branch and came to a stop in Charlottesville. Once I was off the train I took photos of every car from the outside. Then I walked the half mile to the engines. I slipped a little on the roadbed. After 5 minutes of hiking I got what I wanted. Then I went back to the station. I chose to walk down a industrial spur that was not being used because our train was hindering the entrance to it. I then walked across a railroad bridge. After that I went to my grandmother and we caught the bus to the historic district. We got off and walked to the cat store. Then we walked back and caught the bus to the station. We ate in Wild Wing in Union Station. While we were eating our train came back from where they stored it. We finished and I took photos of the engine while my grandmother was walking outside to the gift shop. No one told me and I got on the train.
I looked outside the train from the vestibule. No sign of her. I called her, no answer. I called my sister to tell her of my predicament. Then someone told me where she had went so I started to walk thru the train. I tried to get my sister to pick up and I could not get her till the Moulitere. I continued thru the train. I ran into a traffic jam in the coaches. I met up with her in the coach before the gift shop. She gave me the money for my hat and I continued and bought it. Then I worked against the current of traffic to get back to the 11 first class cars. Once there I sped up. I then enjoyed the ride. I signed up with my buddy who owns the cars from Lancaster for his deadhead list, so I could get a cheap private car. I would ride it one way and then find my way back. We sat in the car during dinner. I walked the train. I decided to talk to crew of super dome while there passengers ate.
I talked in there for an hour. Then I returned to my car. Then in two hours the trip was over.

Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds as if yohad quite a trip. Did you see the Uiversity in Charlottesville? Your grandmother must have enjoyed being with you. Do write again about future trips.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We saw the University of Virginia fans and part of their campus near the crossover from the train station.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page