RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Trip Reports » Nov 03: Julie, Flag Stop, NEC, fire alarm

Author Topic: Nov 03: Julie, Flag Stop, NEC, fire alarm
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunday, 11/23/03: Finally got a chance to ride the Crescent. Rode from Culpeper, VA to WashingtonDC. On time in Culpeper; early to DC. When I got my ticket (on board) they mentioned they 'slow down' near flag stops, such as Culpeper, to see if anyone is on the platform. There was I and a family of 6 waiting to board, plus a couple of people got off.

I had tried to book the Crescent using "Julie", but since I was getting on at an unstaffed station, I was automatically transferred to an agent. Got a bedroom for the 1-1/2 hour ride...no coach seats available (again)!

At DC we got in about 10-15 minutes early, so I was able to pick up a Metroliner ticket for BWI. Love that high speed; the 10am Sunday departure flies through New Carrollton.

At BWI there isn't much to do but watch the trains come through...most were on time but the southbound Carolinian was running about an hour late. It included the "Vermonter" baggage car towards the rear, plus it had two express cars. Not sure if the express cars travel south of DC as I have never seen any when I've gone on the southern section of the route.

Returned to DC on #153, one of the northeast regional trains (or whatever they are called these days). [Note: the PA announced most trains but not this one!] Got back to DC just in time to join a quick evacuation of the building because of a fire alarm. People were pretty calm about it; didn't see any headless chickens, etc. It was warm outside by late November standards--it was in the 60s and sunny/cloudy. After about 10 minutes they let everyone back in.

Headed back out on the westbound Cardinal at 1:15 (actually I think it was a little late getting out). I had not ridden this train since it was (temporarily) set up with single level cars. There was a good size crowd that got on in DC.

Train arrived at Culpeper right on schedule...

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page