RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Trip Reports » Trip Report

Author Topic: Trip Report
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just returned from a trip from Pittsburgh out to California.

Took the Capitol from Pittsburgh to Chicago. However, it was TWELVE hours late arriving into Pittsburgh, so naturally I missed my same day connection in Chicago to the Chief---along with a number of other passengers. So, for the first time, I was "hoteled" in Chicago and connected to train #3 the next day. Amtrak uses the Rodeway Inn. Each single passenger was offered $33 for cab fares and food. I thought this was quite accomodating. FORTUNATELY, I was able to acquire a sleeper the next day.

An interesting "high-light"--

A few days before I left on my trip, Amtrak contacted me with an offer for an up-grade to a deluxe sleeper for $100. I accepted the offer. But, as mentioned, I missed my original connection to #3. Before I left for the hotel, I needed to be re-ticketed for the next days #3. At the counter, I mentioned the original offer that Amtrak had made to me. The clerk informed me that my DELUXE was NOT available, since I was departing Chicago a day later. So, I got ticketed for room # 14. I wqas disappointed in this, because it is on the lower level. But I accepted it graciously because the clerk informed me that the train would be FULL and that I was lucky to even GET a sleeper of any kind.

Well, the next day I moved into my assigned room---# 14.

At dinner in the diner that evening, the DINING-CAR steward (of all people) recognized my name and informed me that a DELUXE ROOM was open and "saved" for me !! I quickly informed my car attendant, who LAMELY told me that the train staff was "looking" for me----to inform me that a deluxe WAS available afterall. I really did NOT believe this. I am CERTAIN that if the dining-car steward would not have informed me, I would have spent the entire trip in room # 14 !!!!

ANYHOW, the GOOD news is that when I approached the conductor about my move to the deluxe room, she informed me that there would be NO extra charge afterall !! So I got a free up-grade the whole way to Fullertton.

Food and service both directions was good. We arrived both into Fullerton and back into Chicago basically on-time.

What surprised me was that there is still no "baked goodies" available at the Metro Lounge in Chicago-----but the IS in both Philly and DC !!! This does NOT make sense to me. Why NOT Chicago ??" I say, offer the goodies at either ALL the Metro Lounges or NONE !! What is so "precious" about the NEC ?

I have said before that I ( and MOST other lounge visitors) would be delighted to offer a few dollars for the return of the goodies. Think of how many people enter the Chicago lounge each day. Why if everyone offered just a buck, there should be plenty of money to buy donuts and muffins. I just find it "irritating" that SOME of the lounges offer the treats and some do NOT. I certainly plan on contacting Mr. Gunn and expressing my thoughts. I simply do not understand the logic of offering the the treats at only CERTAIN lounges. When I experienced the treats in Philly and DC, I was CERTAIN that Chicago would (again) offer them also. But I was wrong. Anyhow, like I said, if individuals were asked to "donate" to the "treat-fund" in Chicago, I am certain most people would be delighted. If that is what it takes to bring the treats back in Chicago, then this is what needs to be done. To me these treats are a major attraction at the lounges, and I KNOW many others feel the same way.

Over-all, a very nice trip.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicago certainly used to have muffins and suchlike. However, there was never much of a choice and the tray would be empty in minutes.

Was the deluxe free because of a no-show?

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMTRAKLVR
Member # 2843

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for AMTRAKLVR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TALKrr,YOUR FREAKING OUT OVER TREATS.I SAY TAKE A CHILL PILL MY FRIEND!
Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a new Krispy Kreme outlet at CUS.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I truly did NOT want to make a major "issue" out of the fact that there are no "treats" in the Chicago lounge anymore. I simply know for a fact that they are missed there by most everyone who visits. On my recent trip, I heard numerous comments from guests related to that matter. So it is NOT just me. Also, like I said, "policy" is "policy." Doesn't anyone else think it is "odd" that Chicago seems to be the only lounge minus the goodies ?

To Geoff: I honestly do not know why I was not charged for the up-grade. The only thing the conductor told me was that she "checked" and no extra fee was necessary.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any news on the consist(SWC)? What day did you arrive in Fullerton? I've been keeping a record lately of on-time performance and unfortunately, it hasn't been the best.

Are the Capitol Limited and the Southwest Chief still the same consist/train?

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
TO SWC:

To be honest, I never was interested in "listing" the cars in my trains consist like some of you guys. Sorry.

I do know there were two sleepers, but could not offer you the car numbers.

We arrived into Fullerton about a half-hour late.

We arrived into Chicago just about on time.

Yes, I believe the SWC DOES become the Capitol Limited.

AMTRAKLVR
Member # 2843

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for AMTRAKLVR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TALKrr,AREN'T YOU STARTING TO SEE THAT NO ONE THINKS IT'S ODD THAT CHI DOESN'T HAVE GOODIES.YOU HEARD NUMEROUS COMMENTS...I"M BEGINNING TO THINK YOUR HEARING VOICES AND MAYBE YOUR THE ODD ONE.LET IT GO!
Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your Caps lock key stuck on? It's very hard to read something that is all in capitals, not to mention generally being perceived as rude.

FWIW if I paid for an upgrade to 1st class (which is effectively what sleeper is), I'd expect *something* to be available at Chicago. Not on the scale of airport lounges, but at least provide some nibbles like muffins, cookies, etc. They could even do it by stamping your ticket, eg one muffin per passenger. In the great scale of Amtrak financial operations, a few dozen muffins a day isn't going to make much impact on the budget.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMTRAKLVR
Member # 2843

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for AMTRAKLVR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geoffm, wow you were right, the caps WAS stuck on! Thanks! Remember the saying "humor is the best medicine"? Notice the posting has the yellow face that smiles and winks.
In the old days the Chi lounge did have treats but the passengers eat them faster than they can be restocked. As long as you go around "expecting" you will always set yourself up for disappointment. Relax.

TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
To AMTRAKLRV:

One more comment about the lack of treats at the Chicago Lounge---I PROMISE :

You are missing my point entirely, in my opinion.

I frequent the Lounge there quite regularly in that I travel with Amtrak a great deal. It is easy to simply presume that I am the only individual who feels the way I do about these "goodies." I most certainly am not. I have heard countless individuals comment related to the matter.

I do not expect something for nothing. I made it very clear that I would be delighted to donate to a fund in the Lounge to restore the treats----and I KNOW many others would also. So many individuals frequent the Lounge there that even if only SOME visitors participated, there would be plenty of money available. And yes I have suggested this to the attendants there.

I am sorry, but to ME the treats are a SPECIAL Lounge amenity that I truly miss and am willing to pay for---if simply for the CONVENIENCE factor, if no other.

It was not my intent to sound "immature" about the matter. It is an important issue not only to me but to numerous others. I am sorry if you disagree.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Darn it, sorry ;-) It was just a helpful hint, others may well have been more direct!

Geoff M.

TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
To Geoffm:

Thanks for agreeing with me that it is not "unreasonable" to expect "goodies" at a Metro Lounge----especially if they ARE offered at SOME.

I honestly think that , if a poll were set up related to the subject , a very large majority of Lounge guests would place a VERY high priority on baked goodies being available.

Guests who do NOT "miss" them in Chicago are most likely unaware thay they ARE offered in Lounges elsewhere.

As I have said, most Lounge guests would be delighted to donate (upon entering the Lounge) to a fund to "support" provision of goodies there.

I would even go as far as to say that most Lounge guests would be willing to BUY these goodies from the Lounge, if necessary----simply for the convenience factor. I know I certainly would.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page