RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Forum Information » Welcome to the Forum! » GM&O

Author Topic: GM&O
MarkB
Member # 197717

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the greatest honor and previlage [img] www.gmobuilding.com [/img] markbalan@gmail.com of taking care of the old GM&O Train Station in Mobile, Alabama. It has been beautifully revied and serves as Class A Office building, keeping all of her past glory and architecture intact and restored. If you are in ther Mobile area, please visit and give me any comments/sughghestions you may have.

City of Mobile is considering resurcting the Train Service to Mobile - I would love to have the GM&O Terminal Building serve once again as Station with its past and present glory to be seen and enjoyed by all train loving folks.

The main entry hall is bare and I am looking for some old large GM&O related memrobelia to exhibit in the central rotanda. Also if you have any large GM&O related items, I will be happy to see if we can find a home in our Building.

--------------------
markbalan

Posts: 2 | From: Mobile | Registered: Oct 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was originally the M&O (Mobile and Ohio) station until its merger with, actually takeover by, the GM&N (Gulf Mobile and Northern). It is astounding that this building has remained intact and in appearances at least, in good condition, and up until at least the 1970's or 80's still had its tracks in place, despite passenger service ending in 1953. Unfortunately, it is unlikely to see return of train service due to the routes of tracks through Mobile. The return is almost certainly to be New Orleans to Mobile, and if more, further on the same route to either Jacksonville or Atlanta. This track does not pass through or immediately adjacente to the M&O station. Also, unfortunately the original main line out of the station, which went north to Meridian MS, Jackson TN, and on to St.Louis is no longer intact.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkB
Member # 197717

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You George for your comments - there are some tracks near the building which is used for cargo transport from the Docks I believe - I will check this out and post updates !
Also will post some interior pictures of the restored GM& O Building soon -

--------------------
markbalan

Posts: 2 | From: Mobile | Registered: Oct 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page