TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Forum Information » Welcome to the Forum! » Hello ev'ryone

Author Topic: Hello ev'ryone
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Retired Amtraker (disability.) 24 yrs RR industry; signal dept., on-board svc., also rules-qualified assistant Conductor on UP and the old SF and SP. Split my time now between So. Cal and my house in Galesburg, IL. From the front window there I can see both the old mains as I sip my morning coffee: ex-ATSF and CB+Q, now all BNSF. Over 100 trains a day. Life is good! Nice web site you have here...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Railroad Bob:
From the front window there I can see both the old mains as I sip my morning coffee: ex-ATSF and CB+Q, now all BNSF. Over 100 trains a day. Life is good!

I wish I had that luxury.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Bob. Our Amtrak board could certainly benefit from your insights. Glad to have you aboard.

------------------
A sitting duck is lying down.
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr. Toy. And Ken, houses are cheap in this part of IL; come on out! In fact, the closer to the tracks, the cheaper they are. There are some ppl (yes, it's true) who do not wish to live with a "garden railroad" in their front or backyard. In my case, the RR is a Class A transcontinental mainline, 2 in fact. There was one nice little house, here in GBB, that recently sold for $13,000. The BNSF double track main was 5 feet from the property line, and at a whistle crossing! Perfect for the die-hard railfan, but not many others...My place is not that close, but I can still see the rail movements from the front window; also walking distance to the Amtrak sta. on Seminary Street.

[This message has been edited by Railroad Bob (edited 12-12-2004).]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, I appreciate the invitation. Its tempting. We could sell our California cottage, buy a house there, and retire on the capital gains. But, alas, I just won't trade the shores of Monterey Bay for a trackside view.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Know what you mean, Mr. Toy. Just as I wouldn't want to part with my little Koreatown condo that looks out onto the Hollywood sign in LA...however, with my travel benefit and having roots in the Midwest, and at those prices, I figured what the heck. Why not get a little bungalow in a true railroad town and use it for a retirement cottage? Enjoy yourself in "John Steinbeck" land...even tho' Cannery Row ain't what it used to be. You still have the old
SP branch line, right?

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Railroad Bob:
You still have the old SP branch line, right?

Yup. The Monterey branch line is now safely in the hands of the Transportation Agency for Monterey County, which purchased it from UP last year. It will be used for the revival of the Del Monte, scheduled for startup in 2009. There's more info on my website. The link is below.

------------------
A sitting duck is lying down.
The Del Monte Club Car

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page