RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Forum Information » Welcome to the Forum! » Railroad Stations and Terminals

Author Topic: Railroad Stations and Terminals
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering if any RailFans discuss the state of the old historical railroad stations built in North America from around 1890 through the 1920's. These Landmark structures are as much as part of Railroading History as the Engines and Railcars. They are also icons of American ego and arogance of a once mighty American Industry.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our station was built in 1912. We always traveled by train when I was a kid (my parents didn't own a car until well after I was married) and I used to love going with my mom to buy the tickets for the train that would take us to Grandma's every summer. The waiting room was huge and you had to go up a big, wide marble staircase to reach it. Well, the train station is still here http://www.jolietunionstation.com/

but the big waiting room is now a banquet hall and the Amtrak ticket agent/waiting room is in a small room in the bowels of this great building. No wooden benches, just cheap plastic
chairs, no newspaper/magazine vendor, just one lonely ticket agent in a basement corner.

I consider us lucky, though. Not too many years ago the city wanted to tear it all down.

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki,

Thank you, for the pictures. To start a trip in a building to Grand would make you realize it was and honor to board a train. You have to say that the builders of these stations knew to make them to big and beautiful to ever tear down. I am glad Joliet saved and restored the building, it is a shame the Amtrak portion could have been incorporated in a nicer way. It looks like a similiar fate occorred in Pittsburgh where the station was converted into apartments while the Amtrak waiting room is in a cold plastic room.
Are Union Station here in New Haven (I've got to get some pictures posted here) has a similiar design and was refurbished in the early 90's. We have AMTRAK service and commuter lines, they did a great job on the renovation. They kept the ticket booths the big wooden benches and working shoe shine stand while incorporating the newer convienences (?) Subway Sandwich shop, Dunkin Donuts into the building in a suttle way.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our station in Santa Barbara, CA was built by the Southern Pacific in 1905. It was restored several years ago including being repainted in a controversial, but authentic, olive drab color. A new ticket counter was created in a fairly authentic style. The "Ladies' Waiting Room" has the original round settee. The area around the station and across the tracks have been landscaped to apporoximate the original design. Just west of the station is one of the largest Moreton Bay Fig trees in the world.

We have several Surfliner trains including two that go as far as San Luis Obispo with the rest going to Los Angeles or on to San Diego. The Coast Starlight also provides daily service to Los Angeles or north to Seattle. Parking is available with the first 75 minutes free. One day parking with an Amtrak validation is $2.00.

Frank in cold and windy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page