RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Forum Information » Welcome to the Forum! » Greetings and questions from a newbie.

Author Topic: Greetings and questions from a newbie.
Leonidas
Member # 5551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonidas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Folks,
Just joined this forum and I'm hoping to get some suggestions for the best passenger experience in North America. I'd probably want to spend 4-5 days on the train, without a multitude of excursion stops. I'm looking for a compartment, preferably with shower. This may be the only train trip I can ever afford to take, so I really want to make it special. My father was a RR engineed, so I grew up on and around trains, albeit a long time ago. I'm tending to think a Canadian trip might be best. Advice? Recommendations? Please email me at dumbob@pacifier.com Thanks.

Posts: 1 | From: Portland Oregon | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you're in Portland, you are perfectly positioned to make a loop. Start out east on the Empire Builder through Glacier national Park to Chicago. From Chicago go west on the California Zephyr-considered to be the most scenic route in the United States-to the San Francisco Bay area. Then take the Coast Starlight home from there. I think that's take about 6 days, though you might want to lay over in Chicago and SF. Not sure how reliable the connections are between these trains.

I'd go into more detail, but I'm short for time right now.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard!

Excellent suggestion by Mr Toy but you'd have to overnight in Chicago as there's no same day connection from the eastbound EB to the westbound Zephyr, making it seven days in total with five nights on the train and one in Chicago.

Other alternatives would be to fly one way to eg New Orleans, New York or DC and then take the train back.

You don't say when you are intending to travel. Just bear in mind that if you want a compartment with its own shower (as opposed to a communal one at the end of the corridor) the price can go up very steeply. A trip like this is best booked at least six months in advance as whilst coach prices are the same throughout 1st class (ie sleeper with shower) prices rise the nearer you get to departure date (if you wanted to go this August/Sept the price would be astronomical)

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Arts
Member # 5835

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Arts   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

The Rockies are great, but it's really expensive to take a three leg trip in a sleeper. Cheaper but still fulfilling would be taking the Coast Starlight to LA and flying back, or vice-versa.

See my article about the stretch between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo at http://www.trackandtrain.com/atmypace/getting-around/suggested-amtrak-trips.html or go to youtube/trackandtrain to see the Jalama Beach video.

Good luck, if you haven't already travelled.

Jim, trainarts

--------------------
Reno Railfans -- Our Office is Trackside

Posts: 5 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page