RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Railroad News » The Flying Yankee

Author Topic: The Flying Yankee
Douglas
Member # 1830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Douglas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Boston and Maine "Flying Yankee" restoration project is well on its way to completion in New England. To my knowledge this is the first time an entire train set is being completely restored...to operational status. What is happening here is a very major project involving one of three streamliner train sets which set the standard for modern passenger rail transportation back in the mid 1930's...the
first diesel powered "Zephyr'" types designed and consrtucted by the Budd Company.

The "Flying Yankee" as many of you know
was owned and operated by the Boston and Maine Railroad, and provided service
for New England passengers up to and including 1957. Following restoration, the
Yankee will again be operating along the rails of the eastern seaboard showing off her sleek stainless steel shovel nosed power car, coach and observation lounge
car.

I would like to invite all of you to visit the
the Flying Yankee site at www.flyingyankee.com and see the history behind this beautiful train and take a photo tour of the restoration taking place in the shops.

I am a fan of the Flying Yankee. That is why I am writing to all of you. I am not
connected with the organization in any way except for the fact that I am one of those who grew up with the Yankee. I was two years old when my dad, as a Christmas present gave me a Lionel toy train copy of the Yankee. Even at that early, early age I was smitten by the beauty of this shiny train. That was in 1937. I am now 67 years old........and I still have my Lionel "Flying Yankee" streamliner. My hope is that I will live long enough to head back east and get a ride on the real Yankee.

Please visit the site....and let the organization know that you, the rail fans care about this wonderful and very worthwhile project.
www.flyingyankee.com

Thanks very much...and Happy Holidays.
Doug Vernon
San Diego, California

Posts: 21 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page