RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Railroad News » Moffat Tunnel to be repaired; Amtrak to detour via Wyoming

Author Topic: Moffat Tunnel to be repaired; Amtrak to detour via Wyoming
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The expected repairs and maintenance to the Moffat tunnel, 50 miles west of Dever, CO, will take approximately a month. See link: http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1950721,00.html

It is unfortunate that the Tennesee Pass route is unavilable for use by Amtrak. I would certainly think of that as not as extreme of a detour than Wyoming. Tennesee pass is more scenic, as well.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting...when was the last detour through Wyoming? I know this happened about 20 years ago when they had the landslide near Thistle, Utah.

MP

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much of a delay are we looking at here?
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall right off the top of my head, but I remember hearing something about the repairs in question taking about a month or so. th repairs were also slted to start in June.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a 1949 DRGW timetable:

Denver to Dotsero via Moffett tunnel: 166.8 miles
Denver to Dotsero via Pueblo & Tenn. pass: 341.9 miles
Distance penalty: 175.1 miles
First passenger stop beyond Dotsero is Glenwood Springs, another 18.2 miles.

Schedule time between Denver and Glenwood Springs:

CZ via Moffett tunnel: 5h13m WB, 5h25m EB
Prospector via Moffett Tunnel: 5h30m WB, 5h45m EB
Mountaineer via Moffett Tunnel: 7h05m WB, 7h10m EB
Royal Gorge via Pueblo: 11h25m WB, 11h00m EB

The Mountaineer was essentially a local. Even allowing for the more relaxed schedule of the Royal Gorge, it can be seen that the time penalty for operating via the Royal Gorge / Tennessee pass route would be at least five hours, probably more likely six hours, even if the speed limits of 1948 still prevailed. Remember, Denver to Pueblo is a very heavily used line for coal trains, so with superelevation reduced in the curves as well as train interference, the elapsed time over this line is probably a lot longer than it was in 1948. Therefore, a time penalty of eight hours or more is likely.

The original UP across Wyoming is still a very fast piece of railroad.

Therefore, for purposed of achieving some reasonable approximation of the schedule, to take the original Union Pacific across Wyoming is the only reasonable route.

[This message has been edited by George Harris (edited 03-03-2004).]

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Mr. Harris. I knew that the route via Tennessee pass was longer, but not the legnth, or the difference between Tenn. Pass and the business-like UP mainline across Wyoming. I also didn't know the duration of time it took to get Denver - SLC via Tennessee Pass, so your timetable contributions are helpful.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page